BR30 Housing & Trim Advice? (hopefully nicer than what I've been using)

Old 07-16-15, 09:37 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
BR30 Housing & Trim Advice? (hopefully nicer than what I've been using)

Over the past 5 years, I've installed about 50 recessed 6" cans in houses I've lived in. (current house has 32 in the basement).

Each and every time, I'm suckered into those "contractor packs" at the BORGs where the cost per fixture (IC housing + baffle) is only $10 or less. You know the kits I'm talking about.

Problems with current kits
  • Baffle springs are too short when tucking BR30's up higher into the fixture. This skews the angle of the bulb due to the tension the springs put on the lifter housing. My remedy for the 32 basement lights was a set of metal clips from the Walmart craft section. This worked, but it was a real hassle.
  • It takes a lot of time to align the bulbs to look good and even in each fixture.
  • Certain angles, you can see around the bulb and up into the housing. It looks sloppy.

What I'm after
For my next project, I'd like to find some remodel fixtures with decent trim. Since these will be above countertops and close to cabinets, I'd like the bulbs to be recessed farther up into the housing to reduce hotspots on the cabinets these will be close to.

So, what fixtures have you used in the past that you've liked?

Old 07-16-15, 11:04 AM
I do not like installing trim kits that use springs, it seems like just a bad design. Something similar to link below works well. You remove the adjustable socket plate and wing nuts from housing.
These baffles are held in place by spring arms and hold much better than coil springs. The loose socket is inserted into top of baffle trim. Height of lamp is not adjustable, but can be achieved by choosing the appropriate lamp.

Commercial Electric 6 in. White Airtight Recessed Baffle Trim-HBR635WH - The Home Depot

Old 07-16-15, 11:14 AM
K
Bingo, that's exactly what I'm after. Thank you!

I'm familiar with the side arms, as I've used them for eyeball fixtures that operate in a similar way (removing mechanism, attaching socket). The trim you suggested is reasonably priced too. Thanks!

Old 07-16-15, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 912 Upvotes on 770 Posts
YOu are connecting the springs of the trim ring to the wrong location. Look up in the can and on the side wall you will see a slot that looks like an upside down "J". That is where you hook the springs. The springs should not be connected to the lamp holder bracket.

Old 07-16-15, 07:18 PM
K
Really!? Sure enough!

Name:  homer-simpson-doh-938062.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 07-16-15, 07:39 PM
Yeah, Tolyn's the man.

I still like the fixed position lamp holder trim kits though. If you want to adjust the previously installed trim kits, they sell a special tool for accessing and attaching springs.

Old 07-16-15, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 912 Upvotes on 770 Posts
I still like the fixed position lamp holder trim kits though.
I do too. Makes the entire inside of the can all white and also helps make them air tight. Also sets the lamps to the exact same height.

they sell a special tool for accessing and attaching springs
A pen or pencil also works well. Just stick the point through the little single circle on the spring.

Old 07-18-15, 07:07 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: