Bad Light Switch Wiring?

Old 07-19-15, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad Light Switch Wiring?

In a bedroom I was working on I removed a light switch and the light fixture while doing some drywall work. Months later (now) I am trying to install a new switch and fixture. I don't have a ton of experience with electrical work but something seems weird to me here based on all that I have read. See the attached images.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  34.3 KB
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  27.6 KB

So these aren't amazing but if you look at the switch you can see a black wire comes in, is attached to the bottom terminal, and the same black wire goes out a different piece of conduit. The green wire connected to the other terminal. In the other image, on the box above the fixture (you can't actually see the fixture in the image unfortunately) you can see a white and black wire coming from the fixture and connecting to yellow wire nuts. White goes to white - the black goes to a green wire?

So...it seems to me they are using the green wire as a hot wire which seems like a no-no...but I really have no idea. Is this legit or is something weird going on here? If weird, what should I do to correct the problem?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-15, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So...it seems to me they are using the green wire as a hot wire which seems like a no-no.
It is. Is that greenfield or BX? If greenfield there is a slight chance you may be able to pull a new wire. If armored cable or conduit isn't required I'd run new NM-b cable.