Skip green screw on light fxt ?

Old 07-19-15, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Skip green screw on light fxt ?

basic question: Can copper ground from new light fixture go directly wired to rigid copper ground in junction box of light? IF it must does rigid box ground go to screw or new light grnd (they both connect) ?

Details: I have what is prob' a simple question and have googled a lot tonight but we have never done home dyi of any magnitude and this was our first time w/ wiring anything.

We put up a new kitchen light fixture in our 1979-1980 apartment (w/ permission of course.)

Our junction box was a mottled black color, I assumed plastic but not sure.
There was no green screw in orig' light fixture bracket just the raw copper ground (and black and white).

We wired the new light fixture and new bracket and put copper ground to old raw rigid copper ground wire with screw on cap and ele tape around that. Skipped green screw on new bracket Is that ok?

IF I rewire it does the rigid junct box ground go on that little screw (how) or the thinner ground from new light then connect to rigid org?

Much appreciation for your expert knowledge as I do not want to be causing a fire!

Last edited by dyigreenhorn; 07-19-15 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-15, 12:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If black it would be a plastic box. Connecting the green fixture wire to the bare copper ground wire with a wire nut is the correct thing to do. Tape is not needed. Ground wire does not need to be connected to fixture bar in this application.

Old 07-20-15, 12:17 AM
Thank you You just relieved my brain of worry ! So that box would def not of been a mottled looking blackish color if at all metal? In a cheap 80's apartment Im betting its not metal in gally kitchen but still.

Old 07-20-15, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Easy way to tell...use a magnet. Most plastic boxes are brown or blue AFAIK. The blackish color could be discolored metal for some reason. They (metal vs plastic) really look completely different, you should be able to tell.

Old 07-20-15, 01:41 AM
thanks I wondered if a magnet would work but then I didnt know if they were steel or alum boxes.

Old 07-20-15, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Steel....either steel or plastic of some sort. Never heard of any aluminum boxes.

Old 07-20-15, 03:44 AM
Oh yes of course I was thinking backwards (blame it on sleep deprivation) I was remembering the old days when you would use a magnet to see if a can was recyclable. Just got it bassackwards