Wiring to a heat/vent/light in the bathroom

Old 07-21-15, 06:46 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Wiring to a heat/vent/light in the bathroom

I have a new Broan 100HL Heat, Vent, Light in my bathroom. I wired it to the existing wiring of an old HVL that stopped working. Everything worked fine. My wife decides she want me to add 2 can lights in the ceiling. (you'll see here that electrical is not my strong suit) I spliced into the Blue (light hot) and the ground at the HVL. Now, when I turn on the HVL light, the light works fine, the 2 cans come on about 25% and the fan turns on about 25%. If I turn on the fan, the cans go off and the fan works fine. Why is the fan coming on and the cans not 100%?
The entire wiring seems screwy to me. I have attached a diagram of what I can see at the switch and at the HVL.
Thanks for any help! Please remember I am electrically challenged, so please give me suggestions in language I can understand
Thanks again!
Mark

Name:  53661d1437486281-help-wiring-hvl-bathroom-please-hvl.jpg
Views: 8878
Size:  42.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-21-15 at 09:05 AM. Reason: reoriented/enlarged pic
Old 07-21-15, 09:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I needed to enlarge your pic to see it but it's not terribly clear.

There should not be any neutral wires on the fan, light, heat switch.
There should also be only four wires on the switch.

We leave the grounds out of our diagrams for clarity but they are expected to be connected.

Old 07-25-15, 09:18 AM
D
The switch consists of 3 single gang switches. Each has 2 terminals. A hot is running from each switch to the appropriate H,V or L. The commons leave each switch and then are spliced together. They then travel up to the ceiling and I'm not sure where.
The HVL works fine the way it is wired. The problem are the 2 cans I added. I spliced the cans into the Light "hot" and "common" at the light fixture. My assumption was that if the Light turns on and off with the switch, then adding the cans to it would work the same. That's not the case.
Thanks again for any help!

Old 07-25-15, 12:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I spliced the cans into the Light "hot" and "common" at the light fixture.
No common at the HVL but there should be a neutral. The new lights white goes to the neutral.

Why do you have question marks on the two wires in the switch box? If you are not sure where power comes in then that could be the problem. If power comes in at the switch then there should be two white wires connected to each other and nothing else.

If all three functions are separate you need a 4-conductor cable (or conduit with 5 wires [forNMT]) but I only see a 3-conductor cable, red, black, white, but a four conductor cable is red, black, white, blue. That could be part of your problem also. We need pictures of all the wiring at the switch.

Old 07-25-15, 01:21 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
How many wires do you at the HFL ? and what colors? there must be a neutral up there, I can't really make sense of the drawing,

Old 08-02-15, 07:46 PM
D
Sorry, I've been out of town. There are 5 wires at the HVL. The Heat has a red & white. The Light has a blue. The Fan has a black. Between the Light and Fan is a white. I spliced the cans into the Blue & White on the Light side.

Old 08-02-15, 07:52 PM
D
The question marks are because I can't see into the wall to see where the wires go after they leave the switch. Some are easily identifiable, others are not. At least not to me! All of the blacks from the "3" switches are sliced together and then run up into the wall. The "hots" go from the switch to the appropriate HVL function.

Old 08-02-15, 10:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
Sorry Mark..... I wanted to respond sooner. You've got some wiring problems there. I didn't see it at first but I do see it now.

You are showing a piece of three wire cable between the three switches and the fan unit.
You have the fan on black, the heat on red, the light on white and you are using the bare ground wire as the neutral. That is absolutely incorrect. You cannot use the bare ground wire as a current carrying conductor.

You need another conductor between the switch and the fan. If you cannot ad additional wiring then you'll need to combine the fan and light on one wire or can the heat. You need to convert the white wire back to neutral and the bare wire as ground only.

Your diagram also shows using the incoming neutral(white) wire connected to the green ground wire of the switch. That needs to be corrected also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: