Help with wiring outdoor patio

Old 07-28-15, 08:39 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring outdoor patio

Is one 14/2 wire enough to run power to 2 ceiling fan/lights, a 3rd light, and 3 outlets... or do I have to make 3 separate runs? Do I need to put additional fuses in the box to run it (or them)? Also, if i run from the 3 switches, to the 3 outlets, then to the lights... will the outlets only work if the lights are on? Thanks, in mid project and don't want to burn the house down.

Old 07-28-15, 08:56 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That will only handle 15 amps. Personally, I would keep the outlets & the lighting separate. That way when the live band plugs in all their amps, it won't blow a breaker.

Old 07-28-15, 09:08 PM
S
Thanks, that's a good call! Do I need to run 3 lines from/to each switch and light, or can I tie the 3 switches to one line that runs down the patio splitting off at each light?

Old 07-28-15, 09:17 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do you want to operate the fan/lights with wall switch(s), with the pull chains or do they have remotes? BTW, what's covering the patio?

Old 07-28-15, 09:24 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do I need to put additional fuses in the box to run it (or them)
In general you can't add fuses to a fuse box if you really mean fuse box. If you mean breaker box you will need to add breakers but we don't know if you have room because you haven't given us that information.
Do I need to run 3 lines from/to each switch and light, or can I tie the 3 switches to one line that runs down the patio splitting off at each light?
You could use 4-conductor cable to the first, 3-conductor cable to the second and 2-conductor cable to the last.

Old 07-28-15, 09:27 PM
S
It's a lower deck under our existing one. I'd like to be able to turn on the lights individually with the switches but still be able to use the pull chains if we only want the fan or light on. I haven't bought fans yet. I just want to get the wiring done before I install the ceiling.

Old 07-28-15, 09:32 PM
S
Thanks Ray! I did mean breaker box. I have 4 open slots for additional breakers. I understand the concept of what you're saying about the wires and it makes perfect sense. Could you please tell me what ENT stands for?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: