Adding pendant lighting

Old 07-31-15, 03:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding pendant lighting

I want to put up pendant lighting in the room. I have 3 light switches in the room, it also has a drop ceiling, I am able to run wiring. 2 of the switches are 3 way, controlling the 2 fluorescents. The other switch controls the lights in the garage, it is the only switch for that light. Two of the boxes, with the 3 way switches I donít think itís possible to add another switch. I know I need Romex wire a switch and probably a few other things. Where can I run my new switch of an existing one?

Thank you for any information you can provide!!

Jmann3k

Attached Images     
Old 07-31-15, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,122 Upvotes on 3,702 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Picture 2 shows us a two wire in and a two wire out. That tells us you have power there. That's a place you can get power from. In looking at that picture I'm trying to figure out why the grounds aren't connected together or to the switch.

Picture 3 shows us a two wire and a three wire cable with a three way switch. You would need to determine if the two wire cable was power in or switched out to the lights.

Picture 4 shows a switch loop so that is out. There again..... a device in a plastic box with no ground wire connected. Not correct. Any device in a plastic MUST be connected to the ground wire(s).

You can remove a nail-on plastic box and replace it with a new plastic two gang old work box.

You can pry between the box and the stud. If you work carefully you can do it without major patchwork.

Look at the box..... determine which side is attached to the stud. Push the opposite of the box in so it's behind the sheetrock. That will expose a gap between the stud and the box. You can use a flat bar and pry the box off the stud.

Old 08-02-15, 05:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: Adding pendant lighting

Thanks for the reply PJmax!

I am a new homeowner. This room was part of a 2 car garage. The previous owner converted the garage space into a bonus room with a 1 car garage.

I can tap into photo 2 switch, cut the wall, add a two gang box w/ new switch, and wire the box, correct? I found a wiring diagram online and with the new switches they will all be grounded.

I appreciate your help,

Jmann3k

Old 08-02-15, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 909 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Make sure to use proper hanger bars and boxes if you plan to hang the lights off the ceiling grid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: