How to add extra light to an existing motion sensor light.

Old 08-03-15, 06:32 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to add extra light to an existing motion sensor light.

Is it possible to wire an additional light to an existing light with built in motion sensor? I have a motion sensor light in front of my garage and planning to add another light on the side using the sensor from the front. I suppose this should be done in series but I'm not sure of how the wiring should goes.

Old 08-03-15, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,116 Upvotes on 3,696 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When you access the existing motion sensor..... you should find a red, black and white wire coming out of the sensor. The light now will be connected to the white and red wires.

With your new light.... you will also connect to the white and red wire. The red wire is the switched hot out of the sensor and white is the common neutral.

Here is one of my old diagrams......

Name:  10057d1362890081-installing-2-motion-sensors-together-motion.jpg
Views: 43740
Size:  14.6 KB

Old 08-03-15, 06:52 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You wouldn't be taking advantage of the second motion detector which would cover much more ground. Personally, I don't like motion detectors at all. Every time that something activated it, I would look outside & I saw nothing.

Anyway, you could probably tap into the line between the motion detector & the light. That's usually the wires that have the factory made wire nuts which you would have to cut, to make the splice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: