Please shine some light on dimmable LEDs...

Old 08-04-15, 07:31 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Please shine some light on dimmable LEDs...

I'm unclear whether LED bulbs marked "dimmable" can be used on any old dimmer (or touch-dimming lamp, for instance) or must they be paired with the latest dimmers? Have the dimmers themselves changed?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-15, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need both dimmable LEDs and dimmers for LEDs to expect a safe and reliable system. Some dimmers provide lists of lights that they have been tested to work with but I haven't had any problems with untested combinations as long as both dimmer switch and bulbs/fixtures are designed for LED dimming.

I think some folks have found some old dimmers to work with newer lighting in some cases but doing so would be at your own risk.

Old 08-05-15, 07:05 AM
G
I was afraid that might be the case. Switching to LED is a big investment--changing out the dimmers makes it even more so.

Old 08-05-15, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 555 Posts
There are no hard and fast rules.

Some dimmable LED bulbs don't dim properly with any dimmer.
You won't know until you try the combination.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-11-15 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-15, 11:02 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I have four recessed ceiling fixtures in my kitchen, all on a dimmer. I put an LED reflector bulb in one of them about a year ago and so far no problems. The LED does not dim in the same manner as the incandescents and it is possible that if all four were LED bulbs I would have a problem but so far no problems. Since the dimmers (it is a multiple station system) far predate LEDs they have no LED rating.

Old 08-05-15, 12:43 PM
G
Whose idea was it that an LED bulb can be labeled "dimmable" even if it can only be used with LED-specific dimmers? Cheaters!

Old 08-11-15, 07:50 AM
A
I was looking at LED bulbs and a lot of the ones I found for my application are marked dimmable. I'm guessing that if its not on a dimming circuit, then there won't be an issue?

Old 08-11-15, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 555 Posts
The dimmable reference actually refers to the type of convertor/power supply inside the bulb.

In a non dim LED.... some of the power supplies will drop out when the lights are dimmed slightly. These same type of bulbs will come on at almost full voltage....... no smooth ramp up.

Most LED's are marked dimmable and won't dim properly.
There certainly won't be a problem if you don't use a dimmer.

Old 08-21-15, 05:26 AM
U
I've got Phillips 60W-equiv LEDs installed in a chandelier in my dining room and on a non-LED dimmer. They work very well. They might work even better if it was an LED dimmer, and the first round of Cree bulbs I tried with the dimmer worked horribly and buzzed loudly. But I'm happy with the non-LED dimmer and dimmable Phillips for now... I eventually want to install a dimmer in our rec room, too, and plan on using a LED dimmer for that.

Be warned that you will NOT get the same effect you get from dimming incandescent bulbs. You will never be able to get the LEDs down quite a low as you potentially can with incandescents. For this reason, I am currently planning to stay with the incandescent bulbs our bedroom fan/light fixture came with, because i installed a very expensive fan control/light dimmer switch that was not designed for LEDs, and I love how incredibly low I am able to get the lights... Also, the color will probably throw you off for the first couple of weeks. When incandescent bulbs dim, they go from bright white to a soft orange. But when LEDs dim, the color stays the same, it just gets darker. So you might miss the warmth of dimmed incandescents for a while, but I have grown quite accustomed to the dimmed LED color in our dining room.