Wiring new bathroom exhaust fan

Old 08-04-15, 11:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring new bathroom exhaust fan

I just installed a new exhaust fan into my bathroom. I haven't done any home wiring but I'm comfortable with doing it (I work in Automation so I've done electrical work, just not in my home). So my question is do I just run my wires over and down to my new light switch? I have a 2-wire Romex cable w/ground that I'm running to a single-pole switch. I also have blown insulation in the attic. Do I just run my wires on top of the insulation and call it good? Or do people usually run conduit or something to protect the wire?

Old 08-04-15, 12:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you run wire it must be in conduit but you mean cable. Cable doesn't need to be protected except within six feet of an attic hatch. The cable can be stapled to the tops of the ceiling joists or run through holes drilled in them.
I have a 2-wire Romex cable w/ground that I'm running to a single-pole switch.
Current code requires a neutral at the switch even if not needed. Easiest way is to run power to the switch first. Then you can use xx-2 NM-b. However if you run to the fan first you will need to run xx-3 (black, red, white +grnd.) NM-b to the switch. The white would be connected at the fan and capped with a wire nut at the switch. Traditionally the black is used for power to the switch and red for power return to the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: