Testing Panel for Dead Short

Old 08-06-15, 10:53 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Testing Panel for Dead Short

I read you can test a circuit for dead short by using an ohmmeter and testing between hot lead on breaker and neutral and bus bars for continuity. Breaker power is off. If you get continuity, that implies you have a dead short.

I get a continuity reading on circuits that are good and do not trip breakers. Circuits have switchs in off position and no appliances connected.

What am I doing wrong regarding testing?

Old 08-06-15, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
To test for continuity on a circuit, you must remove the wire from the breaker. Otherwise, you are getting the continuity of all the circuits on that buss. Continuity will be there on lighting circuits with incandescent lights, as there is a filament closing the circuit.

Old 08-06-15, 03:14 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Old 08-09-15, 07:52 AM
A
Received 287 Upvotes on 262 Posts
An illuminated switch toggle can cause an otherwise switched off circuit to show continuity from hot to neutral.

The circuitry in a ground fault circuit interrupter receptacle can cause an otherwise switched off circuit to show that continuity.

A doorbell transformer can cause an otherwise switched off circuit to show that continuity even if no one is pushing the door button.

Many TV sets and other electronics still plugged in although turned off will cause an otherwise switched off circuit to show that continuity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: