Reattaching Touch Sensor of Puck Lights

Old 08-07-15, 07:56 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reattaching Touch Sensor of Puck Lights

We bought a new house, and in the open kitchen archway leading to the dining room there are three puck lights recessed into the archway. There was a metal sensor attached to the wall that you would touch in order to turn them on or off. The sensor is gone, but you used to be able to tap the wall to turn the lights on and off. Now, that function is gone. The lights are permanently on. I opened up the wall where the sensor used to be and there is a single wire; I'm assuming this wire is attached on one end to a power source and the lights, and on the exposed end used to be attached to the sensor. Can I reattach it to a metal touch pad sensor somehow? Is this complicated? I don't want to open up more of the wall to get out the wiring to the lights... not sure how else to fix this (or turn of the darned lights!). I saw something like this and am wondering if it's as easy as attaching the wire to a piece of metal and seeing what happens.... obviously that could also be a very bad idea!

Old 08-07-15, 01:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,328 Upvotes on 2,070 Posts
You opened up the wall and found the single wire but you didn't mention touching the conductor to see if it turned the lights on/off? If so then I'd say "yes", a metal plate or anything conductive could work. I wired the one for my china cabinet to one of the door hinges.

Old 08-07-15, 01:21 PM
L
Touching which conductor? How do I know where the conductor is? Literally all there is is one wire coming out of the wall where the sensor was...

It's all a mystery to us - we are kind of flying blind. I'm assuming this was the wire that was attached to the metal bar. If so, I can touch it with anything metal and the lights should turn on/off?

Old 08-07-15, 01:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Touching which conductor? How do I know where the conductor is? Literally all there is is one wire coming out of the wall where the sensor was...
And that is the conductor. Conductor is another word for wire.

Old 08-07-15, 01:43 PM
L
Ah sorry - yes, we tried touching the wire with our hands, with a magnet, with a piece of metal, and nothing happened... what else can I try? Does it matter what type of metal it is?

Old 08-07-15, 01:57 PM
L
Woohoo! touched the actual metal part of the wire (duh) with a paper clip and it works! So I just wrap the wire around some metal piece of something, and use that as my touch plate from here on out, yes?

Old 08-07-15, 03:20 PM
You could use a blank metal cover plate. Example: 1 Gang Blank Plate Stainless Steel (93151-BOX ) at Aubuchon Hardware There may be a protective coating on the plate. Be sure to scrape any coating off the plate where you put the wire.
Literally all there is is one wire coming out of the wall where the sensor was
The sensor is at the light not the wall.

Old 08-07-15, 04:31 PM
L
Sorry I don't know the right terminology!

How do I attach the wire to the plate effectively?

Old 08-07-15, 04:56 PM
Assuming Sheetrock: Fasten to the wall with a couple of plastic anchors.

Name:  058060752933_ca.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  3.1 KB

Remove about one inch of insulation from the wire. From the back run the bare part through one of the holes in the plate. Insert your screw, wrap the wire around it and tighten the screw.

Name:  Sand.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  17.6 KB

Old 08-07-15, 05:15 PM
L
Thank you! So one screw has the wire behind it, and the other is just a normal screw?

I could theoretically do this with any type of metal object correct?

Old 08-07-15, 05:27 PM
Thank you! So one screw has the wire behind it, and the other is just a normal screw?
Yes.
I could theoretically do this with any type of metal object correct?
Yes.

Old 08-08-15, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,328 Upvotes on 2,070 Posts
Now you know why I specifically said "conductor" and not just wire. You had to touch the bare metal conductor inside as touching the insulated outside of the wire doesn't do anything.

I like to have fun with touch sensors. Anything metal can be used. A blank metal plate is functional and easy for guests to find and use. If you want to get stylish(?) or creative you can us a decorative cabinet drawer/door pull, wall sconce or picture frame.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: