Flood Light Keeps Blowing Bulbs

Old 08-09-15, 04:10 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flood Light Keeps Blowing Bulbs

We have a flood light fixture that blows bulbs every 4-6 weeks. We have spent a small fortune in bulbs!

A few months ago, my husband changed the light fixture to a new one hoping that would help, but it didn't.

This fixture is outside our back door......above and to the left of the door. It is covered because we have a carport. It has two sockets for flood bulbs.

When the last set of bulbs blew, I was standing outside, and as the back door (it's a storm/security door) slammed, I saw the bulb flicker on the left side and then go out.

I have to admit, we let that door slam a whole lot.

Is it possible that all of that slamming is causing the bulbs to blow frequently?

The other thing is that we have a flood light fixture on the other side of the house......it's on a different switch.....and when the bulbs under the carport blow, those do too.

Does this sound like a loose neutral? (An old, retired electrician told me that term.) Is that expensive to fix?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-15, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Is it possible that all of that slamming is causing the bulbs to blow frequently?
That is one reason. Another is poor manufacturing quality.

The "loose neutral wire" theory went out with the horse and buggy. A loose wire will not cause bulbs to blow. It can keep them from working but not blow them out.

Go to an electrical supply house and buy floodlight bulbs rated for 130volts. Those should last a good long while.

Old 08-09-15, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Old 08-09-15, 05:06 PM
D
So are 120 volts bulbs just junk? We have been buying Phillips brand.

Someone suggested we buy LED lights because that is what the new fixtures are made for. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 12-18-15, 11:21 AM
D
I wanted to let you all know that in August, we quit slamming our back storm door every time we went out of it, and we haven't blown a bulb since! We're using the same kind of bulbs as before.

Thanks for all of your help!

Blessings,
donna

Old 12-18-15, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Just to answer a previous question... are new bulbs junk ? Yes they are and won't be seen much in the future as the are being replaced by LED floodlights. 130V bulbs have heavier filaments and are less prone to vibration failure.

Thanks for stopping back and letting us know how you made out.

Old 12-18-15, 07:03 PM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
The "loose neutral theory" arises from multiwire branch circuits or sometimes utility service lines where voltages seesaw with differing loads on different parts of the circuit due to a bad connection or broken current path involving the neutral.

With incandescent lamps brighter than normal light would typically be noticed at times prior to burn out.