Exterior Light on Siding

Old 08-11-15, 12:55 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Light on Siding

I am trying to replace the very old and rusty exterior lights on a place I recently purchased. I am fine with replacing the light itself, its what's going on behind the light and the siding. There is a junction box behind the light, in the old siding. So what I have is old wooden siding behind vinyl siding. What they did right now is just ran the wires from the junction box and cut a hole in the siding and connected the light. What I am wondering is how I can attach the new lights and do it properly. Should I be cutting the siding out and installing a mounting block? Or is there another solution to the problem? There are some photo's attached as well.Name:  IMG_0836.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  25.6 KBName:  IMG_0839.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  31.9 KBName:  IMG_0840.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  23.3 KB

Old 08-11-15, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Well, as you know the hole was cut sloppily and not centered over the junction box. Cutting the hole to match the hole over the junction box would be a good starting point. You can find siding blocks that have junction boxes built in them, but you will certainly need a mounting block to cover the booger of a hole they presented you with. Arlington Industries 12-1/2 in. x 11-1/4 in. PVC Mounting Block Kit-8151-1 - The Home Depot

Old 08-11-15, 03:25 PM
K
Yeah not sure why they didn't cut the holes over the junction boxes.

If I use the arlington PVC mount kit and seal the edges so that it is watertight to the house, and use the mount kit as the junction box, would I need to cut a new hole? Just wondering if I was to pull the wires through from the junction box behind and use the kit as the junction box if that would work. If I silicone around the mount kit to make it watertight behind would that be a suitable solution? Just have to find those mount kits as they don't seem to have them at Home Depot in Canada

Old 08-11-15, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
To add to what Larry said, I'd probably remove a couple rows of siding (it unzips easily) then remove the old junction box. Patch the hole in your old wood siding with a piece of plywood that matches the thickness of the old wood siding. I imagine cutting the hole bigger so that you can use a piece maybe 6" x 16" so that it can be secured to the studs on the left and right sides. Put some WRB over the repaired area (Tyvek, felt paper). Before you put the plywood on, drill a hole centered on your new light location and run the wire through to a new shallow 4" round junction box. Then install your new siding vinyl siding mounting block... a standard 7x7 block should work fine assuming you center your new junction box with the cutout in the vinyl siding. Cut out the center hole in the mounting block and slip it over the junction box. (they're usually already marked out for you on the back side) Then cut your vinyl siding so that it fits around the new mounting block and reinstall it.

BTW, you don't use caulk for ANY of this installation. Neither the mount nor the siding needs to be caulked anywhere.

Old 08-11-15, 03:38 PM
K
I was only contemplating caulking if I was going to use the Arlington kit and not remove siding and the old junction box - only if I was able to pull the wire straight out from the old junction box and use the arlington kit as the new junction box. Was asking about that and then was figuring I might need to caulk it to seal the box so that no water would go in the old hole.

Old 08-11-15, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Don't think I would use that exact mount, as it is made for shiplap siding, not dutch lap vinyl siding like you have.

This is for surface mount dutch lap. Builders Edge Surface Mounting Block for Dutch Lap Siding #001 White-130110008001 - The Home Depot

I would suggest using a standard vinyl siding mounting block. Builders Edge Scalloped Mounting Block #123 White-130110001123 - The Home Depot

Old 08-11-15, 04:00 PM
K
Okay and so if I do that, I would need to remove the siding, remove the junction box, patch the plywood (putting house wrap on the new piece of plywood), install a new junction box behind the builder mounting block and then just reinstall the siding with the new cut out. Will it make any difference that I will have also have removed the old siding from that one section of the house (the old wood siding that is behind the newer vinyl siding)

Old 08-11-15, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
That's why I said use plywood that is of equal thickness. So that it matches the thickness of the old wood siding.

Old 08-11-15, 04:29 PM
K
Okay I am a bit confused there then. So I am using plywood that is equal thickness to both the plywood siding of the house and the old siding combined?

Old 08-11-15, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
No. I probably wasn't clear. Cut out an area of old siding that is about 6x16 (centered on studs) This is so you can cover up the hole from the old junction box. Leave the hole in the plywood behind the siding as-is. You will not be cutting out any of the original plywood sheathing, just the old wood siding.

That's why I'm saying to use plywood that is the same thickness as your old wood siding.

Old 08-11-15, 05:42 PM
K
thanks - that makes sense. I am thinking I would still want to do house wrap on the new piece of plywood. That makes sense now - thanks for the advice.

Old 08-11-15, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, thats what I meant when I said to put some WRB over the repaired area (Tyvek, felt paper).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: