Switch in bathroom came out

Old 08-16-15, 10:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch in bathroom came out

Note: Members location is Mexico.

I have 2 switches in my bathroom. One on the top is the light switch. The one right under it... i have no clue what it actually does. Basically under that switch is this square thing that is greenish. First off, does anyone know what this is?

Anyways, the switch came off and i'm not sure how to put it back in. There is also a little screw that came out with it. I can't put the screw back in... im not sure how you can even do it. I did trial and error etc and the spot inside the switch is very small but there doesn't seem to be a spot to put it in. So i don't take the screw and just try to plug the switch back in. The issue is it doesn't go in where you can then click on it. This switch isn't the up and down switch but the left and right switch if that makes sense. I checked google and its called a z wave light switch but instead of looking like that, its horizontal and not vertical if that makes sense.

Does anyone know how i can put the switch back in? The only thing there is... is the light switch piece and a little screw. I have no idea how to put the screw back in. I tried trial and error and it doesn't fit anywhere whether directly into that spot in the wall or the switch.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-17-15 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-16-15, 10:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Please post pictures so we can better help you. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 08-17-15, 04:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Ray, for info, ME means MExico, not Maine. May be a different set up. We'll wait on pictures.

Old 08-22-15, 03:12 PM
J
This is how it looks now with the switch thing not in it.

Name:  IMG_0871.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 08-22-15, 03:19 PM
J
First off, does anyone know what the switch that came off is for? The first switch on the top is the switch for the light in the bathroom and also the fan. I have no idea what the 2nd switch is for that came out. When i turn it on, nothing shows.

I also don't have a clue whats the thing under it that is sort of green, it dims a bit green like a display.

I have the piece of the broken switch along with the screw as well that i will post the picture to later as i seem to get an error when doing it right now. But if that switch came off with the screw, should it be simple putting it back inside? The switch looks the same as the one on the top.

Old 08-22-15, 03:36 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The dimly glowing panel is an electroluminecent panel and is a night light that was once popular since it lasts a fairly long time and uses a minimal amount of electricity. All that I have seen have standard plug blades on the back and merely plug into a standard receptacle. (https://www.google.com/search?q=elec...nt+night+light) They DO deteriorate over time and in my opinion the LED night lights with an ambient light sensor is a better replacement.

As for the switch assembly, it looks to be a variation of the old Despard configuration. These often had switches, receptacles and indicator lights mounted individually on a yoke holding three devices in the space of a single standard switch or duplex receptacle. I have no way of knowing what your particular switch may have controlled. (https://www.google.com/search?q=desp...trical+devices)

Old 08-22-15, 03:58 PM
Turn the breaker off (or remove the fuse) and take the switch out and photograph it from a couple of angles so we can see all the wires and connections.

Old 08-22-15, 04:09 PM
J
Heres the piece that is taken out.

The other picture is another pic of the first one.

Attached Images   
Old 08-22-15, 04:13 PM
J
Theres a picture i will post of a screw that should be attached to that light switch. However, i try to put it in using trial and error whether inside it, then putting the switch in or putting it in the switch and try to plug both inside the socket but it doesn't work.

Old 08-22-15, 04:30 PM
Your going to need to replace the whole switch but till you post a picture of the current switch pulled out as requested in my previous post I can't help more. I'm not sure though how to pull the switch because I'm not seeing the expected screws. Unplug the night lite and see what is underneath.

Old 09-03-15, 01:01 PM
J
Here are some more pictures. The first picture is me just putting the white switch into the bottom. Of course it doesn't fit. Thus you can't click it left and right like the top one. Basically i just plug it back in without the screw below it.

The thing is Im not sure how to put the white piece switch with the screw below together. But from looking at these pictures, do you think I could possibly put it back in but theres something im doing wrong?

And to the person that said to pull the night light out... i dont want to do that because i dont want in case i break it. Also not sure why you would tell me to do that because its not the same button...

Can someone offer me advice here? I just know last time the switch got loose then came out and i couldn't put it back.

Attached Images   
Old 09-03-15, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,148 Upvotes on 3,725 Posts
You have to unplug the night light and remove the front plastic plate to expose the device screws. If that device is old.... you may get things cracking.

It looks like you may be able to get a replacement from Cooper if needed. The link below is Cooper/Mexico. cooper wiring devices/mx/CONTACTANOS/catalogo_residencial.pdf

Look at page 25.

Old 09-03-15, 01:51 PM
J
I am using very little force to unplug the night light. However it feels like its stuck to it... thus attached. Is there a chance that it is suppose to stay there? I don't want to break it if anything.

Also why would you not ask me to take the top one off instead since i assume that would be the same? Because then the light won't turn on etc?

Here is the photo of that screw and the light switch. I cannot for some reason post other pictures of the light switch screw. Is there a reason i can't upload certain photos? Some work and some doesn't. If i get the picture with how in the side of that switch looks, do you think you could tell me how to put it in? Also is this screw suppose to be put inside the actual wall switch or inside this light switch before plugging it in? Because i tried trial and error and nothing works.

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-15, 03:01 PM
Size the photos to a width of no more than 1000px and they will probably upload.

Old 09-03-15, 03:04 PM
F
I can guarantee you that you cannot put that switch back together without removing the plate from the wall. And you can't remove the plate until you remove the night light. It may be hard to pull out for any number of reasons. It could be the prongs have corroded and it will take quite a bit of effort to pull it out or it could be that someone used some double-sided adhesive tape to hold the light in place. It is even possible that someone used some kind of glue to hold it in place.

Yes, you might break the night light when you remove it but there is no way that you will get the plate off without removing that night light. You might even break the plate when you remove the night light or the plate itself. Even after removing the plate there is a good chance that you cannot "repair" the light switch but will have to replace it. The ONLY guarantee is that you MUST remove that plate before moving ahead.

Old 09-03-15, 03:47 PM
J
Is this a better photo of the light switch and the screw?

When you mention remove the plate from the wall, how does one do that? No way i could do this right since i dont know anything about these things? Thus i would need an electrician to fix this? Thus you need tools to do this right?And yes i dont want to pull the nightlight out because i dont want to break that one.

By any chance do you know what the switch that is out for? I have no idea what that switch is for. The top switch when i turn it on is for the bathroom light and also the ceiling fan. The switch below that when i could press it... it didn't seem to ever do anything. It didn't seem to have any affect on the nightlight etc.

Also does anyone know how much it would cost to replace this? Again i dont even know what this switch is for. Its not the light, not the fan. It did seem to have a little to do with the nightlight because i tried to put it back in... the light did dim a bit.

Also are you positive the night light is related to this switch? I'm not very sure if it is at all. Because when switch worked... when i turned it on and off... it didn't seem to do anything at all. I was confused what the switch did at all.

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-15, 04:39 PM
We do not need a picture of the switch. As we have said it isn't repairable. We need you to remove thewhole device and show us the wiring inside the switch box. As stated previously unplug the night light to access the screw holding the plate or fixture. That way way we can help you in choosing a new device and wiring it.
Is there a chance that it is suppose to stay there? I don't want to break it if anything.
It doesn't matter since you are going to have to replace the device. It is a plug in night light. If you don't use the night light you could just go back with a duplex switch but check PJ's link first.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-03-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-03-15, 05:43 PM
J
Hi. But is there a reason you want me to remove the night light as oppose to the top switch for the lights though? Because wouldn't that be the identical switch as the one that falled off?

OKay so if i unplug the night light, then you all can tell me which thing i need to buy... but no matter what there is no way someone like me can repair it correct and thus i would need an electrician to do this?

Old 09-03-15, 06:16 PM
If you don't use the night light I'd by a duplex switch such as:

Name:  Quiet-Cool-IT-30020-2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  37.6 KB

That would be the cheapest, easiest. If you wanted a night light I would add a receptacle below the switch to plug it into. Look up night light you will get an idea of just what is a available but I get the feeling the night light didn't work anyway so just replace with a new duplex switch.

Old 09-03-15, 08:20 PM
J
Hey. The night light always worked. Even when this switch came out.

I never needed to use the nightlight it was just there.

Old 09-03-15, 08:40 PM
You said there was two working switches. Is that correct? If so then just replace with a duplex switch. There are multiple ways to wire so carefully remove the existing switch without disconnecting it so you can make pictures of the connections on the switch.

Old 09-03-15, 09:17 PM
J
When i moved here, yes both switches worked. The top switch is for the light and ceiling fan so i used it mainly. The switch below it, the one that came out I never knew what that switch is for. Because the nightlite always glowed no matter what.

Do you know how much this would cost to have this replaced? I cannot do this myself as I'm not savy at all with this.

Old 09-03-15, 10:33 PM
F
Since the broken switch never did anything but click back and forth AND since you are too afraid to try anything, why don't you just leave it as it is?

No one here has the slightest idea of labor and material costs in your area and consequently we have no idea of what it would cost to repair the problem. Heck, we don't even know what the problem is so how could we possibly know the cost of repair?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: