Replacement for HPS light

Old 08-23-15, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement for HPS light

Hi,

I am about to paint the exterior of my house and I wanted to take this opportunity to replace the HPS Light that I have in my backyard which also makes an awful noise during the night. I have been looking for some alternatives that can provide more efficiency, same brightness (if possible) and hopefully that I can replace myself but the internet documentation is not totally clear for me.

I am hoping to find some help in this forum. Thanks in advanced.

Ralph.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-15, 07:36 PM
I would consider replacing the fixture with an LED one. Better light color, less energy to operate and much longer life. I have used the RAB Yardblaster with success. Very well made and made in USA.

https://www.rabweb.com/product.php?product=YBLED26

Andy

Last edited by Andrew; 08-23-15 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 08-24-15, 05:02 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
What style of fixture is there now? Sounds like a wall pack,send a pic if you can,RAB does make a variety of fixtures and very good products.
https://www.rabweb.com/productLines....rGroup=HIDWALL
Geo

Old 09-01-15, 12:29 PM
I apologize for the late response but I didn't get the notification. This is the light I currently have.

Thank you. Name:  IMG_0469.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  15.8 KB

Old 09-01-15, 01:48 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
The act of replacing the fixture is a not too difficult do it yourself project. Your existing fixture is classified as a bracket arm downlight fixture. It would not be difficult to replace it with a wall back mount (wall pack) style fixture that has a reflector to capture light that otherwise shines on the wall.

Finding a light that gives the same coverage area and the same amount of light in each part of the coverage area as before requires a tremendous amount of expertise in lighting. Included in the study would be how much you want to improve on the coverage area you have now.

For many fixtures of all kinds of technologies, the height above ground is important for determining the coverage area.

LED lights are usually advertised as giving equal illumination with fewer lumens. This is because LED fixturess are usually designed to shine less light in useless directions such as up into the sky.

If you know what "kitbashing" means and have done a fair amount of that then you could keep the exisitng fixture housing and retrofit new innards. You may not screw a conversion lamp or bulb into the socket without making any other changes unless the conversion is rated to replace the original wattage original kind (here, HPS) lamp.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-01-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Send that fixture packing unless it has sentimental value.

Replace it with a CFL (compact fluorescent) or LED.
HPS = high pressure sodium. Do you want to stay with that yellowish colored light.

A typical CFL replacement. 32 watts. Very bright. Around $100.
rab/web/product.php?product=WP1F32W/PC

I just installed this fixture for a customer. Lot of light for the price.
Lithonia Lighting 150-Watt Wall-Mount Outdoor Bronze Metal Halide Wall Pack

A decent LED wall pack will start at $200.

Old 09-06-15, 06:06 AM
Thank you for the feedback. I do not want to stay with the yellowish color. In fact, I don't like it. Good weekend every.