Yellow and Black and Tan wire on light fixture

Old 08-27-15, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yellow and Black and Tan wire on light fixture

I'm trying to replace an interior light fixture. It is a single switch going to the light. The light switch has a yellow and black wire, the ceiling box has a yellow and tan wire and a black wire that is completely sealed off and wasn't used in the existing fixture. Both wires seemed to test hot with a multimeter.

I'm pretty certain the yellow on the switch and the yellow in the ceiling are the same wire. The tan ceiling wire is smooth and the yellow wire is rough.

My question is how should I match the new light wires to the existing wires? How do I tell which is hot and neutral?

Black (new fixture) to Tan (ceiling) and White (new fixture) to Yellow (Ceiling)
OR
Black (new fixture) to Yellow (ceiling) and White (new fixture) to Tan (Ceiling)

I plan on attaching the fixture ground wire to the green screw supplied.

Name:  2015-08-27 19.1.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  2015-08-27 1.13.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  2015-08-27 19.13.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  40.6 KB

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-15, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It's not tan. It is "aged" white. White to the white of the fixture. Yellow to the black of the fixture.

Old 08-27-15, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thank you

Thanks for your help and a quick response. So is it safe to assume that in this 1950 house, most of the "hot" wires will be yellow? I seem to remember that being the case with one of my outdoor fixtures where the yellow was hot.

Old 08-27-15, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
So is it safe to assume that in this 1950 house, most of the "hot" wires will be yellow?
By code hot wire can be any color but white, gray or green. Black is usually constant hot in a metal conduit system. Yellow or red is usually a switched hot but that is just standard wiring convention not a rule.