Flex track lighting

Old 08-29-15, 12:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flex track lighting

I have flex track lighting that I want to put up. I know both the fixture and box work. But when I install it the light won't work. It works when "plugged" into the wall, but not on the ceiling. Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-15, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are too many flex track lighting systems for us to guess at the problem. Can you give us a brand name or trade name or model number or link to the product online ?

Most track systems don't just plug in.

Old 08-29-15, 07:23 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Did you check the incoming wires with a real Volt/OHM meter to make sure there's incoming power?

Old 08-29-15, 09:50 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We plugged it in by sticking the wires into a socket. Not smart, but it did let us know the fixture worked. I'm by no means an electrician but can make my way around a fixture. The fixture is second-hand so I don't have much info on it. Is it possible the track is just bad? Also does the track need to be more level to make a good conection?

Old 08-29-15, 11:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,099 Upvotes on 3,682 Posts
Sorry.... without knowing a little something about what you have there I can't offer any help.
Can you post a pic or two of what you have there ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 08-30-15, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Flex track is low voltage. You should be able to take a meter and put a probe on each side of the track and see if you have voltage which should be around 12 volts. Also check the wires in the box where you are installing the track and see if you have power there. If not you will have to check at the switch.

If you don't have a meter and analog one is only about $12.

Post your findings and we can help track (pun not intended) down the issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: