Antique lamp switch removal?

Old 09-03-15, 09:43 PM
Antique lamp switch removal?

I am trying to get a antique lamp apart and can not get the stem knob loose. This is recessed inside a deep brass fixture. I have tried turning it counter clockwise but it just turns the switch. I looked and can not find a set screw on it. It has to come out in order to get the socket out. I did find some screws that you can get to from the top of the socket. I managed to get the two that hold the socket to the mounting piece on the bottom of the socket. There are 2 more inside there but the heads are completely wiped out. That is probable the ones holding the two pieces of the socket together! The switch is like the one pictured. Any help appreciated.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-15, 06:19 AM
Can you see or access any of that switch stem? Is it short like the one pictured or does it have a long extended knob? Can you see where the knob shaft threads onto the thinner switch stem? Maybe you can grab the stem with thin needle-nose pliers or (even better) hemostats. It should only be finger tight so don't use extreme force.
If it's an antique those screws down inside the socket are probably brass and can be easily drilled out. Once you get the top 1/2 of the socket off you should have better access to the switch stem.

Don't be afraid to destroy the socket if all else fails--they're still available and if your stem is turning backwards the switch mechanism is probably pretty worn out anyways.

Old 09-04-15, 05:45 PM
Guy, The knob goes all the way in to the ceramic so i can not get hold of the stem with needle nose pliers. I will try drilling those two screws as you suggested. I think if I can get the top ceramic out I can then get to the stem. I am trying to save the socket, but if I have to ruin it I will. Right now it is inside a piece of brass that I need to clean and polish. Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-04-15, 07:38 PM
The stem knob is supposed to unscrew from the socket simply by twisting it the wrong way i.e. counterclockwise. Then the socket will be free to rotate or, when the nipple or other fastening at the bottom is undone, the socket will come out.

If the stem knob is corroded in place so tightly it won't unscrew then you will have no other choice but to forcibly twist it or to snip it off with "diagonal" cutters or otherwise destroy the socket..

Old 09-05-15, 09:04 PM
OK, I had to destroy the switch to get it apart. Probably a good thing I did, I may have been messing with it forever and not got it out. Even with it out I am not sure how to get the knob off. It looks like it is pressed on or melted on? Here is a pic of it.

Attached Images