Moving light switch from one side of sheetrock to opposite side.

Old 09-04-15, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving light switch from one side of sheetrock to opposite side.

I have a light panel in an awkward place... i'd like to move it to the other side of the sheetrock wall. The wall is about 4 inches thick.

Can I just measure the distances, mark off the wall and cut with a sheetrock saw? Then I could spin the switchbox 180 degrees and mount.

Obviously I would shut off the power to that switch.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-15, 06:48 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
You should be able to. But you might want to cut an exploratory hole in the opposite wall to see if you have any obstructions. Also the existing cable wire may be stapled close to the stud as it enters the box. In either case you will have some patching to do.

Old 09-04-15, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It depends on the type of box and how it is mounted. Since you are going to have to patch a hole anyway, you might as well just cut out a bigger piece of drywall around the existing switch which will give you room to work. If it's a typical box it will have ears fastened to a stud on one side with nails or screws. You can remove them but then will probably have to flip the box upside down for mounting on the other side because otherwise the mounting ear will be on the wrong side (assuming you will need to fasten to the same stud facing the other direction). That will mean pulling the wires out and feeding them back in from the other end. Easy to do if you cut the larger hole, trickier if you don't. As you said, make sure you cut the power.

Old 09-04-15, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok good call on cutting a larger whole. It's a temporary solution so im going cover up the whole on the current switch side with a 3 Gang Midway Blank Nylon Wall Plate. Ill stick it to the sheet rock with some type of adhesive.