Wiring Harbor Breeze Fan

Old 09-04-15, 09:56 AM
Wiring Harbor Breeze Fan

Moved into an older house. Took down an older fan. There are two switches one in the kitchen and one by the door coming in. The wiring was: blue and black from fan to white, white from fan to white and then the grounds connected. And it worked. Purchased a new harbor breeze with light kit and got everything set up and tried to wire it the same way and the fan won't come on but the light will. I feel the motor running but it won't spend the blades. We took out the motor blocks.

Inside the ceiling box there are two black wires, two white wire, two red, and the ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-15, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Your wiring is going to be a little confusing as it appears that is the midpoint of a three way circuit. White universally means neutral except in three way switch wiring. I'd recommend recoloring the white wire that goes to fan's blue and black another color but white. Blue would be good. Makes it easier in the future.

It doesn't appear to be a wiring issue. It looks to be fan related.

Name:  3wF.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  16.4 KB

Old 09-04-15, 10:49 AM
So basically by recreating what was there I wired it correctly. I will get a blue permanent marker to Change the color of one of the white wires. Thank you for your quick reply and your help. I've been wiring and rewiring all morning and it just got frustrating. Back to the store to return this defective fan.