Ceiling fan pulsating, humming noise

Old 09-05-15, 06:01 AM
Ceiling fan pulsating, humming noise

Thank you for taking a moment to read my user with my ceiling fan.

The fan makes the same noise at every speed.

Humming and pulsating.

Increases speed of pulsating with increase in speed of fan. Doesn't get louder though.

Goes away as soon as you turn off on fan. It can be spinning at highest speed and as soon as you press off on the remote, the noise stops before the fan even slows down.

Does this sound like a dimmer issue? The fan's main power operates off a wall switch and the other switch next to it is a dimmer for the other lights in the room. I didn't think the fan was on a dimmer since it's just an on/off type toggle wall switch but maybe it's an issue because the one next to it is a dimmer?

Thank you!! -Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-15, 07:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You said the word "dimmer" which conjures up the fact you may truly be killing your motor by using an older dimmer switch. How do you control the fan speed? Pull chain or dimmer switch?

Old 09-06-15, 01:21 AM
Hi Chandler,

Thanks for your reply!

There is not a pull chain. I operate the fan using the remote but the fan is also connected to this switch. See link. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcdvdpjdoj...20am.jpeg?dl=0

The switch on the left is the fan and the dimmer on the right is for separate recessed lighting.

Old 09-06-15, 03:37 AM
Good. Having the fan connected to a spst switch will have little effect on the fan's operation except to remove power to it. I am assuming there never was a pull chain. Often when fans are retrofitted with remote controls or fan dimmers (special) they must be set to the highest setting for the proper effect from the remote. Not wanting to sounds as a defeatist, but how old is the fan and what is the make of it? Sometimes the motors just go bad and the first sign is the rumbling you are hearing under power.

Old 09-06-15, 06:12 AM
Thanks again for your reply. The fan is approx 6 months old. It's a Minka Aire 52" Concept II

Old 09-06-15, 06:23 AM
Definitely not a cheap fan Good thing is that it has a lifetime motor warranty. If you have done no modifications to it and it just recently started this humming, I would contact Minka and see about getting a replacement, especially with the short age on it. Motors are made in different locations, and sadly China is one of those places, which in and of itself would be self explanatory. It would be worth the contact, anyway.