Help with a ceiling fan

Old 09-07-15, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with a ceiling fan

I bought a new ceiling fan and was going to replace an old one. The mounting bracket didn't fit and I didn't want to get into replacing the electrical box and cutting Sheetrock etc. I went to re-hook up the old one and now it's not working.

I have two light switches on two different walls that would turn the light on and off (hated that the fan wouldn't stay on with light but oh well). One box has two switches one for the ceiling fan and one for the outside light. The other box also has a dual outlet in that box.

In the ceiling fan electrical box there are two red wires that were wire nutted together. I never touched them. There are two white wires and 2 black wires. I thought I connected everything back together correctly but when I turned the circuit breaker back on and flipped the light switch to test the fan the circuit breaker trips. I have the two black wires from the outlet box connected to the black wire and red wire from the ceiling fan with light kit. First I tried the white wire from fan to the two white wires from outlet box breaker blew. Then I put the two white wires from the outlet box together with nothing else as I think this is wow it was and capped the white from the fan. I thought that is how it was because I remember thinking it was strange.

Anyway breaker blew again Not sure why or what else to try.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-07-15 at 10:32 AM. Reason: reformatted text
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-15, 10:28 AM
Welcome.
Going to need a picture of the ceiling box. See below how to insert pictures.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Also need to know if you touched/moved any wires at the 2 switches.
If switch wiring was not altered in any way, this will be easier to figure the problem.

Old 09-07-15, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not sure what happened to your post but it was just about unreadable. Maybe you're posting from a tablet. Sometimes there is a problem in the translation.

The problem is the three way switches pass thru that ceiling box. You opened three splices instead of just the two you should have. There will probably need to be a white and black wire combined with a wirenut leaving a second white and black set.

Basically this is what you have there. You're going to need a meter to figure it out now.

Name:  3_4_dim.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 09-07-15, 10:39 AM
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  24.3 KB. I never touched the light switches or the 2 red cables that are connected in the electrical box

Old 09-07-15, 10:51 AM
So I have 4 wires each coming out of two different romex runs. Each has a copper ground a red which are connected together that I never touched that leaves the white from each Romex and a black from each Romex. I never touched the light switches and am assuming he romex goes to one of the two light switches. Before I touched it either light switch would turn inthe light and the light had to be turned on for the fan to spin. Not sure how to get it back to that configuration or ideally have the fan work even if the light is turned off.

Old 09-07-15, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
I was typing while you were typing.

If you don't have a meter or voltage tester you can try to "guess" the connections.

I "marked" your picture. Wires 1 and 2 are from one three wire cable and wires 3 and 4 are from the second three wire cable.

Connect 1 and 4 and cap off. Try using 2 and 3 for the fan.
If the breaker trips.... connect 2 and 3 together and capping. Now use 1 and 4 for the fan.

One of the combos will work to get you back to what you had. You can't make the fan always stay on without the light.... the wiring is not in place for that.

Name:  fan w.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  25.1 KB

Old 09-07-15, 11:04 AM
Thanks. I can see which romex cable each set of wires are coming from so I think I can fix it based on your diagram

Old 09-07-15, 11:13 AM
i tried it one way and one light switched worked great no popped circuitbreaker but theotherlight switch did nothing