a mystery - why chirping in cyclic pattern?

Old 09-13-15, 05:08 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
a mystery - why chirping in cyclic pattern?

Last night it began. There is chirping -- sort of like a “smoke alarm with low battery” sound -- in our attic (but I think there is no smoke alarm there) that has a repeating 3-part cycle: chirp (wait 40.4 seconds), chirp (wait 40.4 s), chirp (wait 43.25 s). Then it repeats (40.4, 40.4, 43.25 - two short and one long) with a 3-chirp cycle every 124 seconds. It did this pattern last night beginning around 3 am, and is still doing it, 14 hours later. Do you know anything that could cause this distinctive pattern? (btw, should my question be here or in another forum?)

Old 09-13-15, 05:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What is stored in the attic? Are there any watches, electronic games, clock radios or anything else electronic?

Old 09-13-15, 05:38 PM
G
Very little that I know about: just a big ceiling fan drawing air from the whole house up through the attic, and a socket for an incandescent light bulb. (But maybe there is something I don't know? since I'm not certain about the attic's history) The attic floor is covered with insulation, and I’ve used a flashlight to search its surface, plus the rafters, for “anything that might make a noise” but haven’t seen anything. (fan & light still work normally)

Old 09-13-15, 05:59 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do you have an air handler up there. No boxes of stuff no longer wanted stored up there? No Christmas decorations stored up there? No winter clothes stored up there?

Old 09-13-15, 06:57 PM
G
Mystery solved. It was tough to pinpoint the sound location because the chirp was very short, and infrequent - once every 41 seconds. But with better "echolocation experiments" I could have located the source sooner. It was a Carbon Monoxide Detector (I didn't know it existed) with a low battery, not in the attic. Oops, I apologize for bothering you with this thread. Sorry.

Old 09-13-15, 07:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Oops, I apologize for bothering you with this thread. Sorry.
Not a problem. It's fun to play detective sometimes.

Old 09-13-15, 08:12 PM
G
Not a problem.
Your gracious response is appreciated, Pulpo. Thanks.
It's fun to play detective sometimes.
Yes! But it's more fun to do it well, like a skilled detective with better "experiments" to discover what's happening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: