garage fluorescent light flickers

Old 09-16-15, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage fluorescent light flickers

in my garage, i have a 2 tube fluorescent light. Often times, when i turn on the light, it flickers and stays dark. After many tries/flipping switch, then it will come on. I opened up the light box and see "RQM 2S40-3-TP". after searching, it seems to be a fluorescent lamp ballasts.
obviously i need to replace the ballast. should i get the same ballast, or something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-15, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I converted my T-12 dual tube 48" to LED (with no ballast) for about the price of two new bulbs and a ballast. It was easy to do and I am happy with the result. After my experience I no longer suggest changing the ballast. I suggest just use LED tubes and be done with it. Note prices vary wildly on line. Mine from Amazon was half what some sites charge.

Old 09-17-15, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 180 Posts
First, have you tried new bulbs in your fixture? If that doesn't work then I'd consider replacing the ballast with a modern electronic one. Electronic ballasts are much smaller and lighter so putting the new one in will be less strain on your arms than your old style. Unfortunately ballasts sometimes cost almost as much as a new fixture.

Then as Ray2047 mentioned you could replace it with something else. If you want to keep the fixture LED bulbs are an option. Be careful when shopping as there are bulbs that work with the existing ballast and those that need 120 volts requiring removal of your ballast. Or, just get a whole new fixture. Then you can pick anything you want.