Light switch cannot turn off light

Old 09-19-15, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light switch cannot turn off light

I just removed an old light fixtures and replaced with 6 recessed lights. I connect all 6 lights together (black with black and white with white). When I turn on my breaker the 6 lights are on but it won't trun off from the light switch. What did I do wrong? Also when I removed the old light fixture, the wire is connected with black and black white and white. There are 2 red wires that are screwed with a cap.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-15, 03:02 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Is this a three way system (two switches operating one set of lights)? Where does the power feed come from, the switch or to the lights first? Open up the switch box and tell us (prefer a pic) what connection are on the switch(es).

Old 09-19-15, 03:05 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like you left the switch out of the loop. Remove the switch plate. What color wires are connected to the switch?

Old 09-20-15, 06:04 AM
Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  18.9 KBName:  image1.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  28.7 KB

The 3 top wires are from the ceiling. I tested with a multimeter, and it only the black and white that reads 110V. The two others that has a red wires has no volt.

Old 09-20-15, 07:01 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Normally, a white wire isn't used as a hot lead but I see a white wire with a piece of black tape on it. That tells me that it is used as a black wire meaning hot. I also see a cable with a black piece of tape. Which wire on the switch is hot all the time when the breaker is on? Which wire in the ceiling is hot only when the wall switch is on?

Old 09-20-15, 08:17 AM
Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  24.0 KB

RL are the new wires from the recessed lights. 110V wire is the only has reaction to a multimeter and I was connecting my recessed lights to this wire but it won't turn off with the switch. The N has no reaction to multimeter.

The old setup was all white wires were wired to the old fixture and black with black.

Old 09-20-15, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
You've got a confusing mess here. Also.... too many cables/wires at that box.

The switch in the picture is only a single pole switch. That means only one switch controls those lights. Did that switch control two lights ?

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  21.4 KB

1- three wire cable
2- three wire cable
3- two wire feed in
4- new light
5- two wire ?
6- new light

cable 5 is an unknown.

Old 09-20-15, 08:45 AM
Hi,

The light switch was always controlling one light. Cable 5 has 2 wires but has no reaction on multimeter.
The old light fixture was connected with cable 1, 2, 3 and 5, white with white and black with black. The red wires were screwed with a plastic cap.

Old 09-20-15, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The red wires were screwed with a plastic cap.
Following based on one black wire looped around the switch screw. If it was two separate black wires let me know and disregard the following. But the switch definitely shows them as the switched hot. In your picture you show the classic image of the power in black looped around the bottom screw then carrying power elsewhere and a red carrying switched power to the light.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  39.7 KB

Where did the black looped around the switch go after the switch?

I know you said the reds were capped off at the light but that is not consistent with the picture. You should have one black with about a half inch of insulation stripped in the middle of the wire. Is that hot when measured to ground and the white of its cable?

Old 09-20-15, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
I'm out on the road so I'm on sporadically today.

I would connect the 2) three wire cables together. Red-red, black-black, white-white.

I would connect cable #3 to the white and black of above.

I would connect the #4 and #6 cables..... white to the same white splice as above and the two black wires to the red splice above.

No idea on #5. Will need to check and see what is dead in the hose that it may power... if anything.

Ray... that switch will probably be dead now as I believe the feed comes from the light junction box on the black of one of the three wire cables.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-20-15 at 01:38 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 09-20-15, 10:50 AM
Thank you. I will try this.

One question:

I would connect the #3 and #6 cables..... white to the same white splice as above and the two black wires to the red splice above.
Did you mean cable #4 and #6?

Kitty

Old 09-20-15, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... my mistake. I corrected my mistake in the previous post. Sorry about that.

Old 09-20-15, 01:41 PM
Thank you! I'll ask my hubby to try your way and I'll keep you posted!