Is this studio track lighting a fire hazard?

Old 09-21-15, 01:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this studio track lighting a fire hazard?

My house has some old-school closet-style light fixtures on these cubby holes in the bedrooms as the primary light source. One of the fixture went bad in the guest room so I bought a studio track light setup from a big box store just to test out if they'd make a good replacement. They're not mounted normally because the electrical box is on the wall, not the ceiling. Anyways, after installing them, I noticed that the housings actually touch the drywall. I'm currently using LED bulbs. Is it a problem that the housing touches the drywall? Is this a fire hazard? I love the lighting setup, but if it's a problem then I'll remove it and return it to the store.

Thanks!

Name:  IMG_1338.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  13.1 KB

Old 09-21-15, 02:34 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is that picture oriented correctly? Can you step back and give us a wider shot?

Old 09-21-15, 02:55 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, the picture is oriented correctly. That's why I mentioned that I installed these fixtures on a wall rather than a ceiling (where they're usually installed). Here's two more pictures. One of the fixture from a wider angle, and of the original fixtures that came with the house.

Name:  IMG_1344.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  12.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1343.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  11.2 KB

If you look closely, 2 of the lamps are coming in contact with the drywall/ceiling portion of the opening where the fixture is installed. That's what I'm wondering about. I've left the lights on for a while and so far the fixtures are cool to the touch, but I want to make sure i'm not missing something in terms of hazards.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-21-15, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
I don't see any problem.

The glass part of the LED lamps runs cool to the touch. The end where it screws into the socket runs a little warmer but no major heat issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: