Covert dual fan/light switch to single pole switch.

Old 09-25-15, 09:25 AM
Covert dual fan/light switch to single pole switch.

I recently bought a home, and the living room fan is setup to have two switches control the fan. I am trying to convert this over from two switches into a single switch that controls the light and fan operation.

Black Wire #1 comes from Wall and goes into BOTTOM of FAN Switch.
Black Wire #2 piggy tails from main group of Black Wires into TOP of FAN Switch.

Black Wire #3 piggy tails from main group of Black Wires into BOTTOM of LIGHT Switch.
Red Wire #1 comes from Wall and goes into TOP of LIGHT Switch.

I tried removing the FAN switch all together by removing Black Wires #2 and #3 from the piggy tails, and hooking up Black Wire #1 from the wall into the BOTTOM of LIGHT Switch with the Red Wire #1 remaining in the TOP of LIGHT Switch.

I thought for sure this would work, it did not, any ideas? Thanks!

Name:  LightSwitch.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  42.4 KBName:  FanSwitch.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  47.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-15, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Black Wire #1 comes from Wall and goes into BOTTOM of FAN Switch. Red Wire #1 comes from Wall and goes into TOP of LIGHT Switch.
Are the black and red from the same 3-conductor cable (black, white, red)? If so remove one of the two switches and pigtail black and red #1 to that switch. Cap or remove the black power in wire to the removed switch.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  20.8 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 09-25-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-25-15, 10:16 AM
It looks like there is a RED and BLACK DO come from the same group as shown in my original images, and shown in more detail in the image attached below.

It also appears that there are TWO WHITE wires coming from the same group, and both of those are capped off.

I labeled the wires in MY ORIGINAL image post as BLACK #1-3, and RED #1, can you elaborate on which wires specifically I SHOULD be using referencing the labels I provided (BLACK #1-3, RED #1)? For instance hook RED #1 into TOP position of LIGHT switch and BLACK #1 into the bottom position of LIGHT switch, and get rid of #BLACK #2 and #3...

There are A LOT of wires, just want to make sure I am hooking up the RIGHT ones!

Name:  Light.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  51.2 KB

Old 09-25-15, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
There will not be two white wires from a single cable. I suspect there is paint on the wires. Please examine closer. Looks like a red, black and white to me.
It also appears that there are TWO WHITE wires coming from the same group, and both of those are capped off.
Those would be neutrals connected together. See diagram above.

Old 09-25-15, 10:42 AM
Thank you for the diagram, it wasnt there when I started replying to your original post...

I am not electrically inclined enough to read circuit diagrams. I am only inclined enough to not kill myself... IE, turning power off at circuit breaker, and testing switches and wires with multimeter!

I am confused by the bottom half of your diagram. I am not sure what the power in is, in terms of the pictures I provided. Also, it looks like, and sounds like I should combine the black and red wires in piggy tail and run single wire to switch. Should that wire go in the TOP or BOTTOM portion of the switch. Or does that even matter? Does that just dictate the position of the open and closed circuit? I apologize for being a dullard, but like I said I am a GREEN with electric, which is why I tried to provided really detailed pictures. Thanks for your help!

I am not in front of the wires right now, but it definitely looks like there are 4 wires in the group instead of 2 or 3... I will have to check when I get home.

Old 09-25-15, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Power in is the cable that brings power into the box. It provides power to everything else.
4 wires in the group instead of 2 or 3.
Not likely. Remember grounds (bare wire or green) are not counted.

Position of cables are for convenience of drawing the diagram and not intended to represent the position of your cables. The diagram only shows the two switches and two cables you are working with. It does not show other cables or switches in the box.

Old 09-25-15, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the response Ray, upon closer inspection of that picture I believe you are absolutely correct... There are only 3 wires, it looks like a smudge of black that made it look like 4 wires.

I should of started this thread by asking the RIGHT question..

What I am actually trying to do is hookup a Universal Remote Wall Switch.

I thought I had to first convert the existing wiring over to one switch in order to hookup the wall switch.

The Wall Switch I am hooking up has 3 wires coming out the back, 2 black, and 1 green.

In this case would I simply hook the red wire and black wire from the wall to the switch?

Thanks for your responses and patience!
Name:  9-25-2015 2-16-39 PM.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  21.3 KB

Old 09-25-15, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
In this case would I simply hook the red wire and black wire from the wall to the switch?
No, Cap the red on both ends. It is not used.