Ballast help please for fish tank

Old 09-26-15, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ballast help please for fish tank

Please help - have searched high and low on-line to no avail.

I have 2 x 30w T8 (36") on my tropical "Marina Style 160" aquarium.
Have tried to find ballast spec and cannot open canopy to see if its an electronic one - I assume it is as the majority are. (Dont want to butcher hood prematurely)

I want to replace bulbs with LED versions but these require a magnetic ballast.
The bulbs wanted are Arcadia T8 900mm 54 LED tubes (FEW30, 12k Lumens) no wattage mentioned!

Basically what ballast am I looking for - found several on ebay - but not sure what Wattage to go for?
or...... what will happen if I use existing electronic ballasts - wll blow the LED's? and/or is wring direct safe?

Any help proffered - greatly received
With thanks
Mandy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-15, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Many LED retrofit bulbs work with or without ballasts. You might look for that type. Never read of the ones that do work from a ballast needing a special type of ballast. I'd suggest you call customer service and ask for more info, especially specifically why. I suspect misinformation from someone with little knowledge of electric but I could be wrong.

Old 09-26-15, 11:18 AM
Thanks Ray
Read a little about retro fit wiring but didnt like the sound of it all all - daughter of a fire fighter btw!!
Do you know or could you give me your best guess - will I blow the LEDs if I just fit it to the electronic ballast or will I just get compromised/dimmer lighting, or maybe just nothing at all - at 60 a pop I want to sure.
Find it strange that a modern unit needs old school electrics!

Thanks again -Mand

Old 09-26-15, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
I want to sure.
Find it strange that a modern unit needs old school electrics!
So do I.
Powered using traditional Magentic Controllers
I get that from a description of the bulb. Is a magnetic controller UK for ballast? I tried to do a search but it came back as a relay which is what it is in U.S. English not a ballast.

Old 09-26-15, 12:08 PM
Thumbs up

Sorry Ray - my knowledge here is very limited here.
Have already committed to "Arcadia Classica" make - they are exceptional for marine tanks and I got really lucky - 3 for 10 in Marine white (retail 150+++!!)
Knew I may have to rehash the canopy - but still worth it - just need to know what to hash it with!!! Bulb box defo states use magnetic ballast.
Will call Arcadia on Monday to try and get some technical from them, not much help on website.

In the meantime - thanks once again for looking
All the best Mandy

Old 09-26-15, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Please post back with what you find out. I actually converted a room light to LED and the bulbs worked with or without a ballast and there was no restriction on the type of ballast but of course most ballasts are not dimmable and it sounds like yours is.

Old 09-26-15, 01:12 PM
Will do! - maybe the "dimmable" property is the reason. Would be an extra benefit if i could dim, just hope i don't have the same confusion when it comes to buying a dimmer switch!!!
TTFN - Mand

Old 09-26-15, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Dimmers and LEDs are a crap shoot even without a ballast thrown in. Even dimmers made for LEDs used with LEDs made to be dimmable don't work satisfactorily in the opinion of some people who use them and that is just plain screw in bulbs. Often they try different brands of bulbs with different brands of dimmers till they find a combination that works... or give up.

Old 09-26-15, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Here's a little info and it may not be good. Those LED tubes work with a magnetic ballast..... not an electronic one.

Classica LED LAMP | Arcadia Aquatic

Old 09-26-15, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Actually that one says:
These LED units are not compatible with Electronic Ballast Controllers.
Not that LED won't work with a magnetic ballast if no controller is used. Maybe I just read too much into things and over think.