Exhaust Fans Not Working (along with lamp)

Old 09-27-15, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Fans Not Working (along with lamp)

Hi,

Suddenly, my two exhaust fans (with lamp) in two different bathrooms on 2nd floor stopped suddenly working.

I checked the tripper and looks fine on the panel in the basement. Nothing seems to help. I opened up the fixture and checked the outlet underneath exhaust fan assembly. I don't see any voltage. So somehow no supply voltage coming to exhaust fan assembly.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Appreciate your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-15, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It is possible that those units are connected to a GFI receptacle or circuit.
Have you checked all GFI receptacles ?

Old 09-27-15, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I checked the one in one of the bathrooms where exhaust fan is not working. I haven't checked all GIF using "test" and "reset" button. There is one in kitchen.

Do you think that it might be the problem?

I also reset all breakers in the basement for 2 nd floor where 2 out of 3 exhaust fans are not working.

Old 09-27-15, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The GFCI could be anywhere, even a garage or outside or hidden behind something that hasn't been moved in years.
I checked the tripper and looks fine
Do you mean breaker?
I opened up the fixture and checked the outlet underneath exhaust fan assembly. I don't see any voltage.
Likely source of power is either at the fan or the switch for the fan not a receptacle though the power might originate there. The places to test are the switch and the fan. You can not check for power with a non contact tester. You will need a multimeter, preferably analog (or a neon test light or a solenoid tester).

Tell us all the wires and how they are connected at the switch and we will go from there. In addition a picture of the switch pulled out showing all the connections and wires may help. Do not disconnect any wires yet. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html