How to replace fluorescent tube fixture?

Old 09-30-15, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to replace fluorescent tube fixture?

I've got an old crappy fluorescent tube fixture in my basement that I'd like to swap for one of those simple ceramic fixtures that just take a screw in bulb. I'm really pretty new at all this, though, and am having a hard time even figuring out what is it I don't know. The fixture has a cable running in to power it, and another cable running back out to go on to other fixtures, so figuring out how to preserve this power chain is also important. Any tips? Apologies for my noobness!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-15, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the light controlled by a light switch? Can you post a picture of the wiring and connections. Is there an electrical box at the fluorescent light? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 09-30-15, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! The current fixture is controlled by the main light switch in the basement (another reason I want to swap it, to add a local switch to the fixture). As far as I can tell, there is no box -- one wire goes in, one wire comes out.

Name:  IMG_20150930_190418.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  25.9 KB Name:  IMG_20150930_190450.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  23.2 KB

Last edited by eta carinae; 09-30-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Name:  IMG_20150930_190418.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  27.9 KB .

Old 09-30-15, 10:30 PM
Mod Note: Most of the information below is wrong for original poster and should NOT be followed. Some is wrong even for Australia. Australia has AC therefore no negative as referenced below. Left just to remind member this is primarily a North American forum and advice should be be adjusted accordingly. Ravee, welcome to the forums. We appreciate your help answering question but please keep in mind their location.

If you want to change it, Isolate and test. Should have either 3 wires looped red black green
Just remember red is active, black is negative green is earth. looks like they have looped power coming in to power going to another light and they should have each coloured wire tied together.
If its the only light, then there will be 2 wires going to a switch one carrying the power down one bringing it back up if that helps.
Open it up and post another pic if your not sure

Last edited by ray2047; 10-01-15 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 12:29 PM
Ok, thanks for diagram.

Do I have the right idea on how to do the wiring inside the box? Heh, hopefully my drawing skills can communicate what I mean sufficiently:

Name:  IMG_20151002_141907.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  26.7 KB

Old 10-02-15, 12:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
When you remove the ballast cover document the splices and copy the same scheme when the box is installed. Pigtails might be needed for the ceramic fixture.

Old 10-02-15, 01:58 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Switch

The current fixture is controlled by the main light switch in the basement (another reason I want to swap it, to add a local switch to the fixture). As far as I can tell, there is no box -- one wire goes in, one wire comes out.
Sounds like the OP wants to control the new fixture with an additional switch separate from the other fixtures.

Old 10-02-15, 03:13 PM
When I removed the cover on the old fixture, it was all setup exactly as I had diagrammed. Got the new light installed and working! Thanks for the help guys, glad I know how to do this now.

Edit: Yeah, I didn't mention that the fixture included a socket, which I assume is what the ground is for. And the fixture is keyed (good to know the correct terminology) which is all I wanted -- I just wanted the ability to not necessarily have all the basement lights on at once.