Ceiling Fan Wiring

Old 09-30-15, 07:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Wiring

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in my dining room and upon removing the original ceiling box, I noticed that there were seven different wires all tangled together - 2 beige, 2 black, 2 naked wires, and 1 red wire - connecting the dining room light to the kitchen. I made a mistake of cutting all the wires loose without taking a snapshot of the original connection and now I have no idea which wire goes with what.

My question is, how do I connect these seven wires to the ceiling fan?

Any suggestion/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Name:  20150926_113647_resized.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 09-30-15, 07:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I noticed that there were seven different wires all tangled together - 2 beige, 2 black, 2 naked wires, and 1 red wire -
No. Two white, two black, two ground, one red. Which should be one 2-conductor cable and one three conductor cable. The two conductor cable is probably power in. Verify using a multimeter (or neon test light or solenoid tester) but not a non contact tester. If the 2-conductor cable is hot then you have a simple switch loop. You can further verify by looking at the switch box. Does it have only a single 3-conductor cable? How is it connected?

Old 10-01-15, 11:35 AM
D
I don't see any "white" wires.. just two beige, two without covering, two black, and one red. I connected the wires based on matching colors and so far the lighting in the dining room and kitchen works fine, with the exception of the red wire. I just need to know how to connect these wires to a new ceiling fan. Also, is the red wire the "hot" wire? Thanks

Old 10-01-15, 11:55 AM
I don't see any "white" wires.. just two beige
No such thing as beige wires. They are white.
I just need to know how to connect these wires to a new ceiling fan.
And I need you to answer my question previously asked:
You can further verify by looking at the switch box. Does it have only a single 3-conductor cable? How is it connected?
There is no one way for any wiring so you can't just look and be sure and in this case you only showed half the circuit. The rest of the circuit is at the switch box.[QUOTE]is the red wire the "hot" wire[QUOTE]Any wire not white gray or green is hot. Sometimes though a white is used as a hot.

I can give you an educated guess based on incomplete information.

Name:  BG_G.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  21.6 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 10-01-15 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 10:49 AM
D
ray, I appreciate your response. I'm still having a hard time understanding your instructions. To clarify, the seven wires connect the lighting of my dining and kitchen rooms. As of now I connected the two whites, two blacks, and two naked wires together and the lighting seems to work just fine.

In the picture below, what is "remarked black" mean? The picture below only shows 5 wires total. If you look closely at the my original posted pic, I have 7 wires total extending out of the ceiling box.

I would appreciate if you could elaborate with specific detail instructions ex) red with red, white with white, etc... as if you're giving instructions to a 3rd grader. Again, thanks for your help.

Old 10-03-15, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,153 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
In order to keep our diagrams clean and uncluttered - the ground is understood. You know it's there.... we know it's there..... no need to discuss it..... just connect them together.

Just FYI
A white colored wire should never be a hot wire. However when used in switching.... white sometimes get used as a hot wire. We recommend changing that white color to red, black or my personal favorite... blue. This way when someone returns to the switch box or even at the fan end..... the blue is seen and it's known that wire is not a neutral. You can color with tape or even marker. It's not critical.

Ray guessed at your wiring based on the info available. However there is a twist in it.

The power doesn't come in at the ceiling... it comes in at the switches. The three wire cable from the switch to the ceiling carries white on neutral, black to light in other room and red to fan.
The two wire cable at the fan box is going to the other light that is working correctly.

Connect your fan's black wire to the red wire and connect the white to the the two white wires.
If your fan has a blue and black wire..... they both go the red wire.

Old 10-03-15, 12:36 PM
Here is what PJ was describing:

Name:  Fan_Switched-and-Unswitched_Power.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  19.2 KB

Or maybe this is what you have.

Name:  BG_G.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  18.9 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 10-03-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Close.... I believe the OP has two switches..... one for fan and one for light.
Maybe I misunderstood. We'll need to get a clarification as it makes a big difference.

Old 10-03-15, 01:15 PM
I believe the OP has two switches
Yes. I just realized that. I don't know why he prefers for us to guess.

Edit: Added diagram for two switches.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-03-15 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-10-15, 11:45 PM
D
Thanks ray and PJ. After reading your instructions I felt I was in over my head so I decided to call a handyman for installation. Upon further inspection, handyman tells me that my condo has "aluminum wiring" and recommended that I call a licensed electrician for help.

I have two questions - first, based on the posted pic, how can you tell if the wiring is aluminum or copper? second, if my condo is wired with aluminum, how dangerous is it to connect copper to aluminum, as I've installed a second ceiling fan not too long ago in my living room.

FYI - my condo was built in 1969, in CA.

Thanks again.

Old 10-11-15, 07:04 AM
You look at the stripped wire and if it is grayish color then it is aluminum.

Old 10-11-15, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 210 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Special connectors are needed for aluminum wiring. It also needs to be handled with kid gloves so it does not break.

Old 10-11-15, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.... now that you mention it.... your wiring is aluminum and appears to be connected with regular wirenuts.

Name:  20150926_113647_resized.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 10-11-15, 11:08 AM
D
so what type of wire nuts would I need as I am thinking about holding off my ceiling fan project for the time being . thanks.

also, ive already installed a ceiling fan in my living room. should I dismantle it and replace the regular wirenuts on that as well?

Last edited by dantanski; 10-11-15 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-11-15, 12:27 PM
so what type of wire nuts would I need
There are no safe type of wire nuts to used. Alumiconn is one type of connector that can be used by non pros.

You might want to read this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ct6NTUv5lMU7aw

There are purple wire nuts sold for connecting aluminum wire. But they have proven to be unsafe. http://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/Al...ecommended.php

Note all wire nuts currently on any aluminum wiring in your house needs to be replaced and any receptacles not rated for aluminum replaced. http://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/Al...pair_COALR.php

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: