routing cable for new ceiling light

Old 10-01-15, 09:39 AM
routing cable for new ceiling light

I would like to install some recessed lights in my living room. I have a1964 house so there is no ceiling lights in my living room. I would like to know the best way to get power to these lights. I have a junction box in the ceiling near by that i can get power from. I also can get power from a hot receptacle (has a switch loop). Which is the best way to get power? I do realize that i will have to calculate load circute on both to make sure i am able to get power. I will have to put a new light switch in the wall to the new lights. which brings me to my next question, how do i run the wires from the new fixtures down through the wall? the wall is an outer house wall so i won't be able to get trough the ceiling.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-15, 09:49 AM
How many lights are you thinking about adding?
Does that hot receptacle with the switch loop have a switch in the same room to turn the receptacle on and off? Is it the one you're showing as the existing receptacle?
What type of wall and ceiling finish do you have...sheetrock?, plaster?, wood?....

Old 10-01-15, 11:03 AM
Your diagram is very good, but it doesn't show the switch to the existing receptacle.

Is the receptacle totally switched or is it half switched, half hot? Half switched is the norm and is required when there are no ceiling lights in the room.

Half switched receptacle is good. You have a power source there and a switch leg. The switch leg could be rewired to feed power back up to the original switch box. The fishing can be addressed once you determine if you can get source power up to switch box.

Old 10-01-15, 11:40 AM
I was thinking about 4-6 lights, i have sheet rock.
I should have given more explanation of my current set up. I currently have two switches on the wall i am considering adding the 3rd one for the recessed lights.
one switch controls half the receptacle below the current switches, the other half is hot. The other current switch controls the outside light. I also have one across the room that controls the outside light.

I have attached a diagram of how it's currently set up.

Thank you both for taking time to help me out.

Attached Images  
Old 10-01-15, 01:50 PM
You won't need to have the receptacle half switched after lights are installed, that's why I asked.

So I can see two choices:

- fish a cable down to the switch for receptacle, the switch leg to receptacle can be changed to feed power to new lights

- Or fish a cable down to receptacle

I would think fishing to switch box would be easier. It's also easier if you cut out existing box first, fish cable, and replace box with an old work box.

Old 10-02-15, 09:30 AM
It didn't dawn on me to mention that there is currently a ceiling fan in my living room. my apologies.
Last night i checked where the ceiling fan was getting power from, it's getting power from a junction box but there is no switch, currently the fan and lights turn on with a remote. Couldn't i just get power from the ceiling fan, then do a switch loop from the lights?

Old 10-02-15, 11:02 AM
Yes, you can do that. If the fan is staying though, take power from the fan J box instead of fan box to make it easier. Wherever you take power from, you still need to get a cable down through the top plate of wall to a switch box, so I would say it's easier to find a switch box that has source power and use that. If you get lucky there will be a hole above switch box where existing cables are ran and one more cable can fit through that same hole.

Old 10-02-15, 12:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You already have power in the switch box. You can jumper power from there and go to the first recessed.

Is your wiring grounded?

Old 10-06-15, 03:58 PM
Anyone have a good diagram on how to wire 6 lights? i plan on getting power from the switch box in my attic. Any advice? Thoughts?

Attached Images  
Old 10-06-15, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
i plan on getting power from the switch box in my attic.
Many times switch boxes do not have a neutral.

It is best to bring power into the new switch rather then a light as shown in your diagram. While your local code may not require it National code now requires a neutral at the switch box (with some exceptions not applicable here). That would also make your wiring very simple. Jut run a 2-conductor cable to the first light then to the second, third, and so forth.

Old 10-07-15, 09:58 AM
"when you say just run a 2-conducotr cable to the first light" your indicating power from the switch?

Attached Images