12v halogen recess light has power but doesn't turn on

Old 10-04-15, 06:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12v halogen recess light has power but doesn't turn on

Hello Guys,

I am looking for some advice on fixing a low-voltage shower recess light fixture (Nora Lighting NL401), which uses a MR16 GU5.3 halogen bulb. I replaced the bulb but it still would not turn on. I initially thought it is an electrical problem, but when I took a multimeter and measured the voltage at the bi-pin base for the bulb, it shows 11.8v. I tried several bulbs so to make sure that it is not a random burned bulb. Do you guys have any advice on what other problem that might be? I did not think these 12v halogen bulbs requires any ballast. Could it be that even there is a voltage, a malfunctioning transformer is not providing enough current to the bulb?

Thanks for any advice.

-Telerik

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-15, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Could it be that even there is a voltage, a malfunctioning transformer is not providing enough current to the bulb?
You need to find a way to measure the voltage with the bulb inserted to see if it is failing under load.

Old 10-05-15, 12:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
It could be a defective socket too. From the extreme heat of those bulbs the pins lose their tension and don't squeeze the pins tightly. The sockets are usually replaceable.

Old 10-05-15, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
When I had halogen puck lights several of the sockets failed. Sometimes inserting and removing the bulb several times would wipe the contacts and get the light to work for a while but it usually indicated that the end was near for that socket. The best source of spare parts I found was another light kit and I'd just scavenge it for parts.