3 way switch traveler wire issue

Old 10-05-15, 02:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 3 way switch traveler wire issue

I have two exterior lights controlled by two interior three way switches. I thought that I had a light burned out in one of them and just got around to replacing both light fixtures.

The new fixtures had the same basic wiring configuration and after replaced, the fixture in the location where the "bad" one was does not operate. Both switches turn on and off the other light fixture just fine.

I replaced both of the 3 way switches with the same model of the old existing switches and wired them the exact same.

Same issue....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/wall.gif

I am scared that I will have to tear out stucco I have have a bad wire, but am at a stopping point because I am not sure what to do next. I am a decent DIY guy and know how to use a multi-tester.

Can someone please give me some step by step on where to go from here?

Old 10-05-15, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Do you have an idea how the fixtures are wired? Do you have a basic multimeter?

Here are some troubleshooting steps to follow.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 10-05-15, 04:14 PM
J
pcboss,

Thank you for the info.

I do have a multimeter and am familiar with it. Part of the problem is that the switch boxes and the fixture boxes are very tight and hard to see into. I will have to get a mirror or something to see a little better.

Here is my assumption without getting too far into it - I am guessing that the power is going to the switch in the dining room and not into the light fixture and then backed into the switches.

My biggest question I guess is that I am not familiar enough with 3 way switches to check continuity between the switches and if there is a bad one, how to narrow down where (between which device) the bad wire or short is.

Old 10-05-15, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
I'm lost here.... if you have two lights..... and one works fine with the three way switches...... why are you messing with the three way switches.

If one fixture works correctly..... you need to locate how it gets from there to the other fixture. It will more than likely not be a problem in a switchbox.

I would start at the lights. Remove the working light and see if you have one or two cables in there. Just two wires would mean one cable and the circuit ends there... not passes thru.

Last edited by PJmax; 10-05-15 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 04:53 PM
J
Need two switches

PJMax,

That was great info on the number of wires indicating an end of the circuit. I will try that first.

We have 2 patio doors on each side of the patio and my wife wants to be able to turn those outside lights on from whatever door we go out - and sometimes we go back into the house through the other door (now that the backyard is live-able).

Thank you again - I appreciate the guidance.

Old 10-05-15, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Tells us what you find and we can go from there.

Old 10-06-15, 01:14 PM
J
update on switch

I will not be able to tackle my issue until later this week unfortunately as some work issues have popped up. As soon as I can get back home and dig into it I will update you all as to what I find. Thanks again!

Old 10-06-15, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
That's fine. Look down in the pile and post on this thread. We'll see it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: