Universal remote ceiling fan/light installation diagram

Old 10-07-15, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Universal remote ceiling fan/light installation diagram

I have attached a diagram of the current wiring of our ceiling fan along with the proposed installation of the ceiling fan remote.
I am not an electrician and would like to hear the opinions of those who have more experience in this area before making a mistake.
Wiring is not an issue for me, but the safety of my family is.
Thank you for taking the time to view and comment on our post.

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW LARGER DIAGRAM

Last edited by PJmax; 10-07-15 at 09:28 AM. Reason: repaired pic link
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-15, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You have a switch loop. There is no neutral at the switch. If the remote requires a neutral it won't work. Both diagrams are incorrect (actually seem to be the same). They show an incorrectly wired switch loop at the fan.

This is how your fan should be wired before the remote if power comes in at the fan. (Grounds are not shown because they are not needed to understand the circuit.)

Name:  Ceiling Fan wiring Diagram.jpg
Views: 2355
Size:  21.0 KB

As you can see there is no neutral at the switch, just a white wire that should have been recolored black or red or any color but white green or gray.

You say it is universal so do you have a receiver at the fan? That is not shown in your diagram. What is the make and model number of the remote?

Last edited by ray2047; 10-07-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-07-15, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
That remote sends its commands thru the power wiring to a remote that you need to install at the fan. It doesn't require a neutral. You do need to switch the black (hot) wire.... not neutral.

Old 10-07-15, 10:18 AM
Ray,
Thank you for your reply. Yes both drawing are the same, I was not sure if the wording could be read so I added the second drawing with the link to view a larger scale of the diagram.

The product is a Hampton Bay Model # 191-707, it does have a receiver that would need to be installed at the fan, but is not shown in the diagram because the drawing is of the current wiring situation.

The receiver unit has Black-Blue-White wires to the ceiling fan and White-Black wires to the AC power source / feed.

The control unit has
(1) Black Wire - labeled "To AC 120V"
(1) Black Wire - labeled "To Fan"
(1) Green Wire - Ground.

We have found out that this 114 year old home had a simple light fixture with two toggle switches, the light was then changed out to a ceiling fan / light combo - pull chains for the lights and fan speed.

After that someone installed a dimmer switch at the end of the 12-3 and this brings us to where we are today in trying to correct the situation of having a dimmer switch slow the fan speed when the lights are adjusted at the dimmer switch.

Our goal is to properly install the Hampton Bay unit without losing functionality of the toggle switch in between.

I have tried to trace the wiring in case any of it needed to be upgraded / replaced. Who ever ran the 12-2 & 12-3 wires did a good job and did staple the wires to the studs and / or joists.

Old 10-07-15, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Doesn't matter how well they ran the wire. It is of limited use. You can install your fan controller at your marked location but that's the end of the circuit. You might as well put a blank on that first switch location.

Name:  Ceiling Fan wiring Diagram_zpsu79kq0at.jpg
Views: 6265
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 10-07-15, 07:31 PM
Thanks PJMax,
I'm thinking that this weekend will be set aside for more discovery of that Toggle Switch in the middle. The wife would never let me just put a blank plate on the wall but if I could run power to the outlet and then install a porch light we could kill two birds with one stone - if it's not out of my scope of abilities. Thank you for your post.