Confirming recessed lights wiring diagram.

Old 10-07-15, 10:17 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Confirming recessed lights wiring diagram.

Hi!
I'm remodeling my old kitchen. I'm done with the floors but that ugly flourescent light in the center of the kitchen is just asking to be removed.
So, I removed the switch wallplate to only find one wire. Since this is the case, it is connected as a loop switch where the end of the wire is the switch.
However, the way I've laid out the recessed cans in the small kitchen, there would be no light in the middle, thus making a splice in a junction box then distributing the rest to the lights and switch.
To make a better explanation, I've made a diagram. Roof plan on the top and the way I want to wire on the bottom.
Is my diagram okay? I can't really move the wire coming from the panel. So, I'd rather keep it there and use the existing junction box with a plate cover.

Old 10-08-15, 12:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
The circuit as you've drawn it is almost correct. Power is sent down to the switch on the white wire and returns to feed the lights on the black wire. It's recommended to color the white wire a different color.... like red, black or blue so that it's not confused as a neutral. Colored tape or even a marker is fine.

Splicing to the existing box in the center of the room is ok as long as it remains accessible with a blank plate.

Old 10-18-15, 05:19 PM
C
Thanks! Yeah, I asked a contractor who sent me to his electrician and he told me what I had to do.
Overall, I did the whole wiring and recessed cans. Came out great. However, those darn dimmers are making the bulbs buzz like crazy.
Bought a Lutron Maestro dimmer and Cree's BR30 bulbs which are on their approved list(BBR30-06550FLF-12DE26-1U100). I installed them in single pole configuration and the buzzing sound is like a fridge compressor kicking in or an old flourescent ballast that is ready to die. I thought it was the wiring but nope. Thought it was the bulbs but I switched the dimmer for a single pole switch and there's no buzzing at all!

What gives? Will they always buzz? I sent an email to tech support. Hopefully, they'll send me a replacement or my money back. Nothing in their brochure mentions any buzzing sound. I know they buzz but I have two other Lutron dimmers(Maestro and Ariadni). They both make the bulbs buzz but when theyre dimmed all the way down. Not when theyre at full power. And the buzzing isn't as loud. You can barely notice it unless you're a few inches from the bulb itself.

Old 10-18-15, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
But what is actually buzzing.... the dimmer (at the dimmer) or the bulbs ?

I use those Maestros exclusively and haven't come across a buzz problem.
Actually.... like you mentioned... possibly a slight buzz at lowest level. (which can be set)

Old 10-18-15, 06:33 PM
C
the bulbs are buzzing and LOUD. I removed the dimmer, tried the old school on/off flip switch and there's no buzzing at all.

Old 10-18-15, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
I know those bulbs are "Lutron approved" but you may need to try other bulbs.

Name:  cree.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  40.8 KB

Old 10-18-15, 06:46 PM
C
Lutron has a pdf with bulbs that work with their dimmers.
http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum..._Bulb_list.pdf

I bought the right bulb over there which they said have been tested but no dice. I have these bulbs: BBR30-06550FLF-12DE26-1U100. These are on sale at my local Home Depot plus an instant rebate from the power company(Comes out to $2.96 per bulb).

Old 10-18-15, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah... I'm familiar with that document. Did you read, I think it's, page 2..... about compatible ?

Old 10-18-15, 06:55 PM
C
Yep. I have another Lutron Dimmer. They make my Cree BR30 bulbs(2700k to be exact) in the basement buzz but it's tolerable. However, have you heard an old refrigerator's compressor kick in? That's how loud the buzzing coming from the bulbs are. And the dimming is absurd. I love how I can press and hold the on/off soft-tap and the down-toggle at the same time and adjust my dimming level. So, I adjust it to the second to last dimming level. But, they do not turn on. Tried on the 3rd dimming level starting from the bottom and nothing. It only turns on when my dimming level is in the middle when adjusting. Otherwise, the bulbs will not turn on. Also, it's a bit weirder but the bulbs buzz a little less when they're being dimmed. When they're at full power, the buzzing is unbearable. You can hear it from across the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: