New exterior LED lights

Old 10-08-15, 08:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New exterior LED lights

I just swapped out 3 external light fixtures (light up entry ways) for fixtures with LEDs.

When I had only one installed it worked great. Now that I installed all 3 I am seeing a constant flicker. They flicker at the same times in sequence.

The switch is not a dimmer, but a timer style, so not sure if switching that out would change anything.

The wiring on the fixtures seemed fine, if the connections were poor on one would that cause this issue?

Any ideas on my options at this point? Thank you!

Old 10-08-15, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Upvotes on 176 Posts
I would go back and double check the connections. Tug lightly on the wires in the wire nuts to make sure everything is secure.

Old 10-08-15, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,059 Upvotes on 3,642 Posts
The switch is not a dimmer, but a timer style,
You'll more than likely need to replace the timer with one that has a neutral wire. Your current timer is connected in series with the three lights and they don't present enough of a load for the timer to work properly.

This is what you'll find with most electronic timers. The load of the bulbs is under the 40watt minimum required for the timer to operate normally.

Name:  timer.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  20.4 KB

Old 10-08-15, 02:58 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great. I think that will be the first thing I do.

We really don't need the timer functionality, an on/off switch would be sufficient.

Would a standard on/off switch have the 40W load issue? Or should I ask for something specific?

Thanks again!

Old 10-08-15, 03:46 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No a regular switch will work fine. Your problem is that a timer with out a neutral draws power through the bulb to work. An incandescent bulb uses so much power that the small drain isn't noticeable. It is with LEDs.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-08-15 at 04:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: