best way to dim LED strips?

Old 10-12-15, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
best way to dim LED strips?

Are "in-line" (or DC-to-DC) dimmers best for dimming LED strips? I know of problems like flicker, pop-off, pop-on, dead travel and below 1% dimming when it come to AC dimmers. Do DC dimmers install easier with less compatibility issues? I don't find any information on the actual pros and cons... it's all about retrofitting to AC dimmers. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-15, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Votes on 241 Posts
Have you searched for LED dimmers? The source where I bought my LED's also sold several types of dimmers.

Old 10-12-15, 01:49 PM
I've read on a lot of sites. I just don't want to spend a lot of money and have the mentioned problems.

Old 10-13-15, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Votes on 241 Posts
Then I'd suggest getting the dimmer intended or sold with your LED's. There are a multitude of LED's and drivers so the safest route is to get the dimmer that's tested or sold to work with that lighting. Because it can be so important I look at everything as a system instead of individual components and don't mix and match just to save a buck by getting a dimmer somewhere else.

Old 10-13-15, 10:19 AM
Thanks, I should have said "what's the best way to dim LEDs in general" because I want to change ALL my light fixtures (track, sconce ect) to LED. Problem is LED fixtures are made to retrofit with AC dimmers and perform poorly (dim down to 20%, flicker ect). I am not retrofitting so would replace the fixture drivers and add DC dimmers if this guarantees success. Don't know if it will...

Old 10-13-15, 01:21 PM
I have gotten several different things to work:

- I have been able to dim the simple (no switching power supply) Christmas light strings by also plugging a small incandescent lamp (10W) in with the LED Christmas lights. I used a standard triac dimmer cord. It has no issues of flicker or dead spots.

- Use a dimmable dimmer with a dimmable LED. This usually works. Adding an incandescent lamp makes it smoother.

- I made an incandescent load for the above uses by connecting two incandescent lamps in series. This uses half the wattage of one bulb, and they very rarely burn out. But it is not allowed in permanent wiring. Using a small 240 volt bulb also works, running at a quarter the rated wattage.

Old 10-13-15, 03:27 PM
Yea I guess you can get LEDs to work with AC dimmers but I was hoping DC dimmers would avoid trial and error. Well for one thing, they are downstream of the driver which eliminates phase-compatible issues, right? And I know LEDs are voltage sensitive so it seems controlling low voltage is easier than controlling high voltage. Don't know because I am electronic illiterate.

These DC dimmers can be paired to RF remotes. Cool since there are no light switches in the room. Plus now I can pair sconce, track and strips to the same remote.