Outdoor lighting

Old 10-15-15, 08:57 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor lighting

I have a motion sensor flood light on the side of my garage that's connected to regular lights on the front. I just replaced the flood light with the existing wiring, and now the regular lights on the front of the garage won't shut off when the sensor one does unless I shut off the breaker. How do I fix that?

Old 10-15-15, 09:55 AM
C
Received 176 Upvotes on 144 Posts
So the light with the motion sensor used to also control the other light, and after replacing the motion sensor light the other light stays on all the time? Is that correct? Not all motion sensor lights have the capability to control other lights, but those that do usually have a red wire that supplies the current for the other light. The red wire would normally connect to the black wire that goes to the other light.

If I've misunderstood, please give us detail as to how you wired things up.

Old 10-15-15, 10:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's exactly what is happening. Now, my sensor doesn't have a red wire, or any exposed wires for that matter. It's one of those quick connect kinds. Though there are 2 sets of wire clusters in the mounted box, so I connected them together per color, then connected it to the sensor. So does that mean I have to get a different sensor light regardless...one that has 3 exposed wires?

Old 10-15-15, 05:56 PM
C
Received 176 Upvotes on 144 Posts
Is this a separate sensor or a sensor/light combo? Do you have a brand and model no?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: