Install lamp harp to lamp socket

Old 10-15-15, 11:33 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install lamp harp to lamp socket

Hi I recently purchased 2 target lamp bases and it didn't have any lamp harp attach to them. I have 2 ikea lamp shades that I would like to pair it with the base but the problem is it doesn't fit. The hole on the shade is larger than the socket so it becomes wobbly when I put it on.
I researched online to somehow fix this problem and everyone tells me to install lamp harp to base to fix the problem. Which was fine until I attempted to take apart the socket and it won't come off. When i research more into it, everyone told me to pull apart the socket and you'll see wires connect to screws and all you have to do is unscrew the wires to disconnect the socket. But with my lamp socket it 1. It doesn't pull apart and 2. It seems like it's a factory cinched socket meaning it won't have screws.
With that said, how can I put in the harp without taking off socket?! Help!

Old 10-15-15, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yes harps are purchased separately when needed. It may help us see what you see if you posted pictures of your socket and lamp. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-15-15, 12:59 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Google "lamp harp base" for the part you need.

Old 10-15-15, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't most new lamps that are intended for use with a harp, already have the base attached under the lamp socket? I can't believe Target would sell a lamp that required to have the wiring tampered with in order to install a harp and shade. Is this a smaller lamp that was meant to use a clip-on shade? A pic of the lamp would be helpful.

Old 10-16-15, 03:09 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi all thanks for the quick response
Here are a couple pictures of the lamp socket and lamp shade itself
[/URL]

Old 10-19-15, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I went to Target yesterday and took a look at their lamps. The lamp bases that were intended to be used with harps, already had the harp base attached. The smaller lamps did not have harp bases, and appear to be designed to use a special propriatory shade which fits over the socket itself. I assume the shades the OP purchased at a different store have slightly larger base fittings and are wobbly. It looks like to me you could wrap a few turns of black electrical tape around the lamp socket, in order to increase it's diameter and make the shade's base fit more tightly. You may have to go to Target and find shades specially made for Target lamp bases, or else return the lamp bases and get something elsewhere that fits your Ikea shades. If you are set on pairing up the Ikea shades with the Target lamp bases, I'd recommend taking the lamp bases to a local lighting store and have them install harp bases, as the plastic bulb sockets don't appear to be designed for disassembly.

Old 10-19-15, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,049 Upvotes on 3,632 Posts
It doesn't look like you can even modify the fixture for harps. What a poor socket setup.

Name:  image_zpsd29b6o9y.jpg~original.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  40.9 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: