Are enclosed fixtures for "60-Watt m base bulbs" obsolete?

Old 10-10-15, 09:13 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are enclosed fixtures for "60-Watt m base bulbs" obsolete?

I have two enclosed light fixtures like this. They take one regular 60W bulb, like the ones I was able to find in stores about a year ago. But now I only see the 60W modified spectrum, and the CFL, and the LED bulbs, which all need an open fixture for ventilation. So am I correct that I should replace these fixtures and that places like Home Depot are selling obsolete fixtures?

Old 10-10-15, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
I've used LED bulbs in those fixtures with good results. Watt for watt they run much cooler than an incandescent bulb.

Old 10-10-15, 09:47 PM
B
Yeah, I skimped on the research before. There are some LEDs that can be used in enclosed fixtures, as long as you "do not use in multi-bulb enclosed fixtures together with other bulb technologies." Hmm...I may replace the fixtures anyway if I find a good ventilated equivalent.

Old 10-10-15, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
They make many fixtures that are LED type. The light is very natural. If you are looking for a particular light type or warmth it would be good to see them on display. The following chart will aid you in choosing a temperature.

Name:  color.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  17.3 KB

Old 10-10-15, 10:16 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I like the fixtures without the need for any bulb myself available at the Home Depot and other big box stores. You just install the LED fixture and forget them with no need to change a bulb ever. Most come in various sizes for both indoors and outdoors in very nice styles. I just replaced all of the incandescent fixtures for LED in my former rental house and it has made a big difference in an otherwise dark house.

Old 10-10-15, 10:35 PM
B
I was just looking at one of those. I like that you can't accidently put in the wrong bulb, since you can't replace the bulbs at all. The problem with what I have, and I maybe with the other LED fixtures, is that you could use the wrong bulb.

Old 10-13-15, 02:23 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have had one of those with a 23 watt CFL (100 watt eqv) in it for years in my bathroom. But note that it holds the bulb sideways.

I have another one that burned out CFLs and LEDs quickly. I had to take off the lamp globe and use lamps rated for base-up use.

Look for two things:

1. Whether or not the lamp requires ventilation.

2. Whether the lamp can be used in the position the socket requires.

Watch out for one stupid thing. This was caused by lawyers misunderstanding the requirements: A lamp rated at 60 W max (13 W max CFL). The lawyers converted to the equivalent CFL light output, not realizing that the incandescent rating was based on the heat an incandescent lamp produces.

Old 10-15-15, 08:23 PM
B
And now I see this halogen bulb that says "Use general purpose GE energy-efficient soft white Longer Life bulbs in common household fixtures like table lamps, floor lamps, enclosed ceiling fixtures and bare lamp sockets." But I'll read the package if I see it. I was all set to stick with my fixtures and get LED bulbs and now I wonder if I can get halogen.

Old 10-16-15, 06:36 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
As far as light fixture recommendations and ratings go, you treat halogen the same way as incandescent or you use the worst case ratings, here, 60 watts max actual consumption.

A halogen bulb works the same way as a "regular" incandescent bulb, namely the light is produced by current flowing through a tungsten filament so that the latter glows white hot. It is constructed in a manner and using (slightly more expensive) materials so it gives a little more light than and has a lifetime comparable to a regular incandescent bulb of the same wattage.

For ventilation purposes, the fixture that accepts a 60 watt bulb can safely dissipate the heat from a 60 watt incandescent bulb. But for some kinds of bulbs including LED the total amount of heat produced is less except that the bulb components deteriorate at a much lower temperature that can still be exceeded inside the enclosed fixture.

The link you gave describes a bulb that uses 72 watts. It may be used in an enclosed fixture rated for one 75 (or 72) watt bulb, used alone in a fixture rated for two 40 or 60 watt bulbs, but not in a fixture that takes one 60 watt bulb.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-16-15 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-16-15, 11:26 AM
B
Yeah, I was looking for bulbs for a new lamp I bought that's rated 100W, but I also need something that's 60W max for my old enclosed ceiling fixture. They need to standardize things so I don't accidently buy a halogen that can't be enclosed when I'm used to halogens that can be enclosed. People aren't going to read the packaging all the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: