Outdoor Soffit Lighting Install

Old 10-15-15, 08:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Soffit Lighting Install

Hello, i have searched everywhere but it seems like no one has ever had an issue. But I am looking to add recessed lighting in the soffits around the perimeter of my home. I have installed tons of cans on indoor projects into drywall. But never into an aluminum soffit. My concern is that the soffit is so thin that when the can light is set into the hole, that the clips will not lock it down because the soffit is so thin as compared to half inch drywall. What do people do to make this work? It seems that im the only one having this issue. I did a test the other day, i took my hole saw and cut a hole into a cardboard box and installed the can light, and sure enough the clips would not extend down far enough to keep it secure in place. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-15, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The pros may know of cans that will specifically work for you but I would just use construction adhesive to glue pieces of quarter inch plywood to the back of the soffit plywood where the clips will rest. Maybe 1"x1" squares of " plywood.

Old 10-15-15, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can't use old work cans that just attach to the aluminum. You'll need to use new work cans with the bars and mount them behind the soffit. It's not hard to do but a little involved. You'll need to unzip the aluminum if it's interlocked type. Otherwise you'll need to go back to a seam to open it.

What is the construction of your soffit ?