Staircase Light Fixture - Recessed or Wall Sconce

Old 10-20-15, 08:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staircase Light Fixture - Recessed or Wall Sconce

I did a walk-through with an electrical friend. He is suggesting recessed LED lights for above my staircase. I said I didn't want to have to ever change the bulb there. Though LEDs may last 5 to 10 years, that just means that I will have to change it when I am older. I was hoping to get some input on wall sconces for this application. Are recessed LED cans the go-to fixture for staircases? I don't even know if they would throw enough light down there, since they are recessed.

Thanks for any input!

Old 10-20-15, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
I don't even know if they would throw enough light down there, since they are recessed.
Down where ? We can't see what you can. A picture or two might be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-21-15, 06:18 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's a L-Shaped staircase and the lights would be placed at the 3rd step going down and one over the landing. Essentially 10' below and 16' below would be the area needing lit from the recessed lighting. I'll try to get a pic today.

Old 10-21-15, 06:29 AM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
I would vote against wall sconces. Every time you carry something down the stairs you will end up whacking them. 2x4s in particular have robotic sensors in the end that will find anything sticking out on a staircase.

Recessed are ok, but tend to leave the edges and corners of the stairs dark unless the ceiling is very high or you use several of them.

I have a small strip fluorescent fixture mounted flat to the wall above the door and another on the ceiling of the short leg of the "L" and they do a nice job lighting the whole stair. If I were doing it now, I would use LED strip lights along both edges of the ceiling.

And while you're at it, put motion sensor switches at top and bottom so you don't need a hand free to turn on/off the lights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: