Ceiling Fan Light Shade Cracked

Old 10-25-15, 06:47 AM
M
Received 9 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Ceiling Fan Light Shade Cracked

New Hampton Bay ceiling fan from Home Depot.

Installed it and it has two pull chains, one for ceiling fan, one for the lights.

I had already wired the box with separate fan and light conductors, so this is going to be controlled at the wall with a light and fan speed control switch.

When I mounted the fan and tested the switch, it didn't work, so I went to use the pull chain to turn the lights on, then the pull chain to turn the speed on, I yanked the chain several times to see where it spins the fastest, the chain wouldn't pull easy, seemed "stuck". I know sometimes the chain may get in a strange angle if you don't put up the shade at the right rotation, so I double checked. It is fine, but the chain switch for the fan actually points horizontal, then down at a 100 degree angle through the light shade hole, then another angle to the round metal cap. Pulling on the chain horizontally above the light shade was easy, pulling on the chain from below was hard. Doesn't matter, I won't be using the chains anyway, so I figured out which speed is the fastest and left it at that.

A few hours later, I noticed there is a pattern on the light shade I have never seen before. Removing the shade and looking at it closely I believe it is a crack pattern, and obviously from pulling on the chain creating stress on the shade.

Home Depot and Hampton Bay said the glass shade is not warrantied.

How could this be? I didn't drop it, I didn't swing a hammer on it, it cracked on first day of normal usages. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-25-15, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
Home Depot has a satisfaction guaranteed policy. Push them on it. If they won't replace the glass.... take the fan apart.... put it in a box and bring it back.

I've seen that design with the chain being pulled on an angle thru the glass.....sheer stupidity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: