Light Fixture Installation Problem - Electrical Box - Strap mismatch?

Old 10-28-15, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light Fixture Installation Problem - Electrical Box - Strap mismatch?

Good morning,

I recently removed some ancient, damaged track lighting from the kitchen in my early 1980's home. Then, I purchased this updated island fixture to replace it:

Hampton Bay Alta Loma 4-Light 72-3/4 in. Dark Ridge Bronze Island Light-27154 - The Home Depot

However, prior to installing it, the electrical box to which it would mount needed to be relocated from its off-center position, which was specific to the original track lighting I removed, to centered directly over the island.

I had an electrician install the new electrical box, but I told him not to worry about installing the actual fixture as I had done this many times before with lights and ceiling fans in other rooms and in other houses. Well, after a few weeks, I have finally found the time to put up the island fixture and it appears the mounting screws on the new electrical box do not line up with any of the holes in the strap piece that came with the fixture. I thought these things were very standard in their measurements as I've done this sort of thing a bunch of times and never had this problem.

Name:  New Electrical Box Centered Over Island.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  Island Fixture Strap - Bottom Side.jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  Island Fixture Strap - Top Side.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  20.6 KB

I don't think I can simply buy another strap that will fit the box unless Hampton Bay sells alternate straps specific to this fixture since the bottom side of the strap has screws that point downward where the actual fixture is secured (note the decorative nuts in the attached photo).

My questions are as follows:

1.) Is there some sort of adapter I can buy in order to mount this strap to this electrical box?

2.) Does Hampton Bay sell alternate straps for their lighting products for customers in this situation?

3.) Is it dangerous for me to simply drill out the strap a little bit in order for the two existing mounting screws on the electrical box to fit it?

4.) Or, and please god don't let this be the solution, do I need the electrician to come and replace the electrical box with one that will work?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks to y'all in advance and have a great day.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-15, 06:41 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
How far off are the holes?
Got a Dremel Tool?

Old 10-28-15, 06:49 AM
They aren't far off at all. I'm guessing less than the width of the mounting screw in the electrical box...

In other words, if I hold the strap flush against the box, when one hole is lined up perfectly with the curved cutout on the outer edge of the strap. the other hole falls behind the metal running between the cutouts on the opposite side.

Old 10-28-15, 06:59 AM
...Oh, and yes I do have a Dremel tool. I would need a suggestion for the proper bit to use for modifying the strap if that's your reccomendation though.

Old 10-28-15, 07:04 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Any of the stones that will fit in the slots will work.
Take a little off each side, not just one side.
I'd add a flat washer under the screw to help spread the load.

Old 10-28-15, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Was the box he put in 3" or 4". Nobody uses 3" now days but just asking and mounting plate should accommodate a 3" box so just curious. Joe's solution is best. Sometimes the quality control on foreign made parts isn't the best.

Old 10-28-15, 07:25 AM
Awesome. Thanks so much for the help!

Old 10-28-15, 07:28 AM
Not sure of the exact measurement. I'm guessing 4". I can check when I get home later if you think it's important relative to choosing a solution to the problem.

Old 10-29-15, 05:38 AM
Ok, so this is odd... The threaded areas where the mounting screws enter the electrical box are slightly less than 4" apart. They don't originate from the corners/edges of the electrical box itself like every other box I've encountered but come down from a separate piece bolted inside the box. You can see what I'm describing in the photo I attached to the original post. That's why the strap didn't line up. Not sure why the electrician did it this way.

Anyhow, y'all's suggested solution worked perfectly. Thanks for your input.

Name:  IMAG1743.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  31.0 KB

Last edited by ThrasherFan; 10-29-15 at 05:40 AM. Reason: forgot to attach photo
Old 10-29-15, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Good job. Thanks for letting us see how it worked out. Your right the box looks strange.

Name:  New Electrical Box Centered Over Island.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  34.0 KB

Old 10-29-15, 09:09 AM
Thanks, Ray. I appreciate the assistance and noting this is weird and it's not just me. I certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable modifying the strap and adding washers without confirmation from people more knowledgeable than myself that it was the right way to go and safe to do so. I wish I had noticed this when the work was done so I could've asked. Lesson learned.

Old 10-29-15, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
When I first looked at the picture I saw what I had expected to see. Had I looked closer I would have suggested you call the guy back to install a standard box on his dime.

Old 10-29-15, 09:56 AM
I just checked the service order from the electrician and the individual line item refers to this as simply a 'Ceiling Fan Rated Support Box', so I'm assuming having them switch this oddball hardware out for the standard 4 incher we're talking about wouldn't make any difference in hindsight.

Would you still say what I've done is safe? It seems very secure and I don't feel uncomfortable about hanging the fixture from it as is. Please let me know if I'm wrong, though.

Last edited by ThrasherFan; 10-29-15 at 10:20 AM. Reason: provided more detail
Old 10-29-15, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
It is safe. The mounting plate would have fit a standard fan rated box. That does appear to be fan rated but it is still weird.

Name:  fan_rated_box.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  29.7 KB

Old 10-29-15, 11:26 AM
Interesting. I certainly didn't ask specifically for something fan rated and I told him we were hanging an island fixture, not a fan.

Also of note, I see the box ear holes on the fan rated box in your photo above. The one installed in my kitchen ceiling only had the larger posts; no box ears at all.

Thanks again Ray. Have a great one.

Old 10-29-15, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Spacing should be the same for the posts. They just use a larger machine screw.

Old 11-02-15, 01:07 PM
He didn't know how heavy your fixture was.