Hunter ceiling fan: wiring help needed

Old 11-12-15, 06:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hunter ceiling fan: wiring help needed

I have a HUNTER ORIGINAL CEILING FAN - Type #1 Model 25595. It was on a screened-in porch for 23 years, and had gotten pretty rusty ... SO ... I disassembled it .. sandblasted it .. painted it ..reassembled it .. ALMOST got it rewired. I THOUGHT I had the wiring all documented real nice & accurate, but, it looks like I goofed. Can anybody provide a wiring schematic for this old girl ??? HUNTER is no help, and I don't have anyplace else to turn to ... so ... here I stand, admitting my stupidity and humbly begging for help. Any takers ???

Old 11-12-15, 06:38 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
How many and what color wires are coming out of the fan and how many and what color wires are in the J box? Also, does this have a wireless remote in the fan?

Old 11-12-15, 07:00 PM
B
It is an old, Type 1 fan ... it has a 4-wire - 3 speed pull chain switch with #1 RED/(L)BLACK/(#3)GRAY/(#2).YELLOW wires. The reversing switch has 6 contacts ... TOP LEFT = RED from pull chain switch .. MIDDLE LEFT = BROWN .. LOWER LEFT =WHITE ... TOP RIGHT = WHITE .. MIDDLE RIGHT = BLU .. BOTTOM RIGHT = RED. I have 2 long wires ... BLACK & BLACK w/TRACE ... I THINK these are hot for motor and lights ... and there are 2 long WHITE wires coming from the harness .. don't know where these terminate for sure ... they are tied together inside the unit ... and there is a short WHITE that is loose. I think I have everything in place EXCEPT the WHITES. Does that explanation help ???

Old 11-12-15, 07:11 PM
B
Looking a little more closely ... I am assuming one of the long WHITE wires gets routed out the top for a NEUTRAL at the box ... one BLACK out the top for LIGHT HOT ... and, one BLACK out the top for MOTOR HOT. Is it correct to assume the other LONG WHITE gets routed out the bottom to the LIGHT NEUTRAL ??? If so, where does the SHORT (8") WHITE go ??? Could it be a jumper connecting the reversing switch contacts at TOP RIGHT to BOTTOM LEFT ???

Old 11-12-15, 07:25 PM
B
AHHH ... how about this ... both BLACK out the top LIGHT HOT + MOTOR HOT ... one WHITE out the top NEUTRAL ... the other long WHITE to either of the WHITE terminals on the reversing switch (they are jumpered inside the switch with a copper strip - as are the two reds) ... the short WHITE from the other WHITE terminal on the switch to the LIGHTS- NEUTRAL ??? Sound reasonable ???

Old 11-12-15, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Usually there is a blue wire for the lights.... although as long as you know what the wire function is.... color doesn't make a difference.

Old 11-12-15, 08:13 PM
B
There is a BLUE wire ... but, it goes from the MIDDLE-RIGHT terminal of the reversing switch to the motor harness. Not connected in any way to the light function.

Old 04-07-16, 09:59 AM
B
HEY GUYS ... I GOT IT RUNNING !!! It is so tight & smooth that it wouldn't run in LOW until I hung it, and added the oil ... running like new !!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: