Nicked electrical wiring

Old 11-18-15, 08:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nicked electrical wiring

My drywallers just finished up and i noticed when they were cutting the boxes out, a few of them the nicked the sheathing and the insulation. Being that its inside the box, is it ok to tape these up really well with a good tape? Or would i have to run new wires?

One other question that popped in my head a few days ago, i put the siding up on my front porch after i had my electrical ran. If i would've hit a wire with a nail, would it be obvious when i turn power on, i.e. trip breaker?Or is there a chance it wont trip but just pose a fire hazard?
So basically if i turn power on and breaker doesnt trip, is it safe to say im safe?

Thank you Nick

Old 11-18-15, 08:45 PM
H
I have used electrical tape and as long as the wire itself is not damaged with any breaks it should be fine. As for the siding most nails that you use for siding are really not long enough to damage any wires inside the house. It is only when you hang drywall that you need to worry about wires. When you do use the electrical tape use it sparingly don't use too much.

Old 11-18-15, 08:47 PM
N
Re:

For my second question, its really just one group of wires ran on 1 stud that im worried a out. I had 3 or 4 wires ran up 1 stud (2x6) so they werent all directly in the middle of the stud, ya know. It passed inspection like that too.

Old 11-18-15, 09:09 PM
H
It should be fine as long as the wires are back far enough. I am sure if there was a problem that the inspector would have said something and he wouldn't have signed passed.

Old 11-18-15, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The inspector is not always that critical if the wires are stapled in the center. The inspector is looking for blatant issues.

It is VERY possible to have a nail catch the wiring stapled to the side of a stud or even properly drilled in. I have come across too many maniacs with air guns shooting in nails that are WAY too long. I have had nails hit cables.

I have a current house wired that I have not energized yet. I have seen some over-sized nails used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: