Lighting a new workshop...

Old 11-20-15, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lighting a new workshop...

The electrician came today and I now have juice to my new shop. Going out tonight to pick up a 200,000 BTU hanging heater. My next step is to insulate and put in a ceiling but I need to run the wires for the lights first. I want to install 4 foot LED lights that mount direct to the ceiling and hard wire but I have no idea as to which lights or how many to buy to adequately light the shop. At Lowes or Home Depot they sell LED lights ranging from 3000-7000 lumens. The structure is 40x50 feet with a ceiling height of 105 inches. Is there an equation or does anyone know how to figure this out without me buying 2 lights and just trying to guess? All the wiring must be run before the ceiling and lights are installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-15, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
Personally I would consider fluorescent. LEDs can be more efficient but newer fluorescent are pretty close and a whole lot less expensive. An important consideration considering the number of fixtures you're going to need.

I think first you need to figure out how much light you want or need. In the warehouse or general areas of my shop I have one light level. Then over my general work benches I have another. Then at home where I work on my RC toys and do a lot of fussy work on tiny parts I have an extreme amount of light. As I've gotten older light has become very important. Then once you know how much light you want/need at your work areas there are calculators and charts to tell you how many fixtures at your ceiling height are needed.

Old 11-21-15, 06:09 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Fluorescent might be less expensive but you don't need as many fixtures. I removed some fluorescents, for a customer & replaced them with LEDs. What a difference! Home Depot has some nice LEDs. If I spelled it right, the brand is Lithonia. They have round & oblong.

Old 11-21-15, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
There is quite a lot of good information on the internet about how many lumens per square foot (or square meter) is recommend for a particular space depending how the space will be used.

Here is one really good one: How Many Light Fixtures Do You Need ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

And another: Illuminance - Recommended Light Levels

Or here is a handy dandy calculator: LED Lighting Requirement Calculator - Charlston Lights

Looks like you need about 74323 lumens to properly light up your shop based on the calculator above.

Old 11-23-15, 04:27 PM
Good info here and just what I was looking for....thank you.