Under Cabinet Lighting/Transformers- Troubleshooting

Old 11-20-15, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Under Cabinet Lighting/Transformers- Troubleshooting

Hi, I was wondering if someone can give me guidance in troubleshooting transformers for an Under Cabinet Lighting system.

I want to help friends that say that they have a bad transformer on their Under Cabinet Lighting system. I will be visiting them shortly and help them but before I tried testing my Under Cabinet Lighting system at home so can I have something to compare to when I troubleshoot at their place, their system.

For my system, I have put a multi-meter (Auto AC-volts) to see the incoming 120V, I see 116V which is find and normal.

1. I have put the multi-meter (Auto AC-volts), after the transformer on the 2 wires (both whites), but I do NOT see the 12 volts on the meter.
Is this correct ?
Should I be doing this another way?
Note: on the Transformer's label it is written 12 volts.

2. Is there anyways to test the continuity on a transformer ?

Any help would be appreciated,
Michel

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-15, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have put the multi-meter (Auto AC-volts), after the transformer on the 2 wires (both whites), but I do NOT see the 12 volts on the meter.
Is this correct ?
Were the lights on? If not try with the lights on. Were the two white wires at transformer? Post a picture of where you measured. Are you sure it is a transformer and not a switching power supply? Are you sure it is AC?

Old 11-20-15, 08:29 PM
Yes, the lights were on.

I forgot to mentioned that this is a Dimmer-Switch and when I tested it, the dimmer was at its highest position.

The first reading is from the incoming NM cable where I got the 116V. The 2 left wire nuts on the first pic (below).

My second reading is on the 2 other wire nuts (on the right in pic)) which are passed the transformer. This is the one where I do not get a good reading....

Your question: Transformer or Switching PS... I think this is a transformer, please see pic # 2 below and correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks, see 2 pics below:

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 11-20-15, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You were measuring in the correct spot for the secondary. It is on the right. Remove the wire nuts and try again if you didn't the first time and bypass the dimmer.

Old 11-22-15, 08:48 AM
Thanks Ray2047... I will be creating a new post, as I visited my friends yesterday and noticed the problem... but not sure what is the solution, hopefully someone will help. The problem is not the same as this one.