Help installing light fixture

Old 11-27-15, 02:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help installing light fixture

I'm attempting to upgrade the light fixture in my bathroom but running into all kinds of problems. Hopefully someone here can help.

I've replaced light fixtures before but this one is a bit odd. There are seven total wires, four coming from one side, three from the other. Some are connected together and some aren't. All of the wires appeared charred, it's difficult to distinguish the color of the wires, and the housing is brittle and falling off. To make matters worse, when removing the old light, one if the wires came loose and I'm not sure what it was originally connected to. The only thing I know for user is the ground was attached to the bracket, and one of the wires was connected to a green wire (which is the one wire from the group of four not attached to the group of three).

I have a multimeter I can use to try and test the wires, but I'm not sure what I'm looking to test. I also wrapped the wires with electrical tape but not certain if that's the thing to do or not.

Original light fixture disconnected, with lots of what I assume is heat damage
Attachment 59356

All wires pulled out of the junction
Attachment 59357

Four wires from one side
Attachment 59358

Three wires from the other side
Attachment 59359

Old 11-27-15, 02:37 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
First of all, your attachments didn't work. Post the pics to photobucket.com & paste the link here. It sounds like there are other fixtures tapped, off that that light. Look for the hot lead that supplies the power. Then look for the two wires that go to the switch. I'm guessing at the way that it's wired based on your description of the wiring.

Old 11-27-15, 03:48 PM
Are these cables in an attic? Do the cables contain a bare ground?
If the insulation is so brittle as to fall off, these cables need to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: